Vocational Schools-Assessing Out

sleep123

My little DD has wanted to apply to a vocational school for some time now and now the older she is getting the more vociferous she is becoming about it  I was always led to believe that children starting in Year 7 at the top dance schools were relatively safe from being assessed out until the end of year 9 unless something drastic occurs or of course the decide to leave of their own accord! I assume that by going at the end of Year 9 they can apply to do their GCSEs elsewhere without too much interruption to those crucial two years. I have heard rumours that quite large numbers go prior to even reaching that point - someone had said to me that for example in the current Year 10 class at Elmhurst only 50% of them remain from the original Year 7 group. 

I suppose I am asking in a very roundabout way in peoples experiences of their DC starting a vocational school at Year 7 have they remained along with the majority of their peer group until the end of Year 9? I not sure I could go through such an upheaval just for 3 years! I know there are so many factors which could affect retention rates but I am not sure of the benefits for my DD to go away at Year 7 if there is a very high chance that it would only be for a few years.....may be better to wait until 6th form but then harder to compete with those already there.....so much to think about!

Hi sleep123,

wish I could be more help but the tough fact is that there is no way of predicting or generalising numbers of pupils who get assessed out. Some year groups seem to go through pretty much intact whilst others can lose quite a few. Bottom line is - if the school no longer thinks their training is suitable for a child they will assess them out. Yes - this does put a strain on all those involved - wondering whether it will be your child leaving and dealing with the emotional fallout of close friends moving away. It is a fact of vocational life whether we like it or not.

However if your dd is really keen maybe let her audition and see where you go from there. Our youngest dd is now in year 10 at vocational school and despite the stresses and the undeniable rollercoaster of life at ballet school it has been a really positive experience for her. 

Good luck with your decision making :)

Yes, there are no hard and fast rules. I dont think the 50% is correct for the current year 10 at Elmhurst and certainly of the few that did leave, not all were assessed out but chose to leave. It is true for Elmhurst though that you cannot be assessed out until after year 9, but this is not true for White Lodge where you can be asked to leave after each year (although not year 10 due to GCSEs ). It is a lot to get your head around and pretty stressful for the kids but it is a part of this life. It's certainly not time wasted if your child does get assessed out though. It's all a great experience. That's the way we chose to approach it anyway.

• Like 3

Out of the 14 girls who started at Elmhurst in 2010 in year 7, just 7 remain. Of the 7 boys who were in year 7, there are 4 still there in year 10. As Belljul says, it's been for a variety of reasons, homesickness, injury, changes of schools and assessing out. If you child is lucky enough to get a place and start that journey, remember it is only the start, be realistic, cherish every moment for them, but be open minded. Best wishes for auditions if you decide this is potentially the right path for your child.

• Like 3

The assessing out precedure was what bothered me most and would have been the main reason for preventing my ds from going to WL had I had my way. There werent lots of ballet.coers then with reassuring stories about how assessing out, although upsetting, ultimately led to more sympathetic training and then jobs!

As has been said already its really not possible to even give average figures as each year varies so widely. In my ds year 18 of the original 24 spent 5 years at WL. However the year above was almost completely different in year 11 than in year 7.And again this was for a variety of reasons.

Who knows how anyones life will work out? But surely its better to at least try (albeit with open eyes) than wonder what if?

Sorry not as good with words as Anjuli!

• Like 2