Career options other than ballet dancing

DancingtoDance

I'm wondering what professions do your pre-vocational, vocational ballet students or children, or yourself think would pursue if unable to dance professionally or when retiring? For me as a female want to be classical ballet dancer I think it would be joining the military, writing or acting (though I don't think there's a good chance at all that I can act without going to drama school! :-( ) I think joining the military because I believe it is very similar to ballet especially the discipline, and if I can't get a job at 16-19 but can later, it will be good preparation in terms of discipline! :) But I've heard it is a long term commitment and also that it is not easy to stay in the job. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, the two together? I'd like to write because when I feel like it I like to write a lot, especially about ballet. And it allows you to be creative, and also become 'lost' in a story the way ballet does. When I don't feel like writing though, I have almost nothing I want to write. Acting because I really do like to act - and drama is my favorite subject! Or maybe PE is, or maybe they're the same. I get better grades in Drama, but I still do like PE despite not really getting good grades. And acting also lets you become 'lost' in a story like writing and ballet - and in Drama you yourself ARE the character! I always enjoy acting itself even if I don't always enjoy Drama as a subject in school - usually I do! So enjoyment is one of the reasons for acting. Acting also often allows you to express yourself through your body - like ballet - and I think I like the physical aspect of acting/Drama the best!

I think I'd enjoy acting the most. I don't know about the salary of any jobs I listed - I presume that actresses make very little, and I would need to find the time and motivation to do a side job! Same with ballet - I have almost no idea how I'm going to be able to do a side job. Maybe stop sleeping, eating, bathing etc - but then I'd have absolutely no energy for the demands of ballet, and feel really horrible!

Other than the jobs I listed I don't know any other job - except being a volunteer, but - I don't know how to explain why that's not really practical. I have just thought of costume maker too!

Curious as to what others think? I know that this post is long, but I wanted to know the possible options for a career other than ballet, for someone who absolutely loves ballet and can't imagine doing any other job other than very few.

Edited by DancingtoDance
  • Like 2

May I ask how old you are and how soon you would have to make a decision?

and - have you talked about this with your  parents or a counselor at school?

As for ballet other than dancing - you can teach, choreograph, do designing for stage, costumes, etc.  You can write about dance - either as a journalist or as an author - or both..

However, income is never guaranteed and the world is changing very quickly so that often what is a good solid profession today might  not be one tomorrow.

So, you might want to "look down the road" and consider what professions have a good chance of providing a living as well as being of interest.  Some that are connected to dance would be sports medicine, physical therapist, etc.

Whatever you choose there will be plusses and minuses - and lots of hard work and dedication. 

And even if what you choose has nothing to do with dance or writing or drama - that doesn't mean you can't still pursue these fields as a sideline.  Lots of people do.

• Like 2

My DD wants to be a teacher. Until recently she was certain that she wanted to be a primary school teacher and maybe teach dance in an after school club or something. However, she has recently started helping out at her dance school and is planning to register for the DDI as soon as she is old enough and she is absolutely loving teaching dance. So now she is talking about becoming a full time dance teacher. At least she was until this week when she started work experience in a primary school - she is having a fantastic time there too, so it could be back to plan A! I am pretty sure she will teach in some way though as she does seem to have quite a flair for it.

Dance training, whether vocational or not, encourages other talents besides performance and develops many transferable skills. There are other forms of work within the dance world, as evidenced by some of our fantastic members here, but dance training can be helpful in many other walks of life. Not to mention that simply having a hobby which you love, keeps you fit, helps you relax and so on is bound to improve quality of life, whatever you earn your living doing.

• Like 6

Have recently had this conversation with DS.  What if at the end of  all you can't get a job as a ballet dancer.  His chosen options are take a second degree in history or join the military.  Get this, he has been to check at the recruiting office and because he will have a degree (albeit in Modern Ballet) he can go in as an officer.

Yes that well known route - vocational school, degree in ballet, Sandhurst.

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when he was having that conversation!

• Like 8

Meadowblythe I had to sign in just to like that comment! I remember my DD saying one of the Elmhurst boys was off to join the army a few years back so maybe it is not such an unusual career path! Can see why the Forces might like these fit, disciplined young people. I wonder if Army scholarships might extend to those at vocational school (if you are successful they pay half the fees for sixth form, I believe, and allow you do to any degree you like. All you have to do is, er, promise to sign up until the age of 25). :)  

I would imagine someone who has had many years of ballet training being quite an asset for the forces. I bet the forces know it ,too. The physical strength and stamina, plus the discipline. How many other 16, 17 or 18 year old non-dancing boys and girls would be able to compete with them?

• Like 1