Pointe Shoe Hardener

Balletmumfor2

My DD used to use Johnsons Klear floor polish to harden her pointe shoes as this was recommended on a pointe shoe course a few years ago. Shortly afterwards however, Johnsons changed the formula and renamed it Pledge. We have used Papillon or Freed hardener since but it is not easy to get except via mail order which is expensive due to p&p. Has anyone tried the new Klear and is it successful? My daughter has 3 pairs of shoes on the go at once but needs hardener to prolong the life of them. Would love to know what anyone else uses. I know EYB suggest wood hardener but we've never tested it!

The new Klear was reformulated about 2 years ago. My DD was using the old and changed to the new formula when it came out and hasn't noticed any difference. The new stuff is just as good.

We tried Ronseal wood hardener once and didn't think it was very good really. It is lethal stuff; highly flammable and gives off fumes. You also need turps or something similar to clean your brush afterwards.

Thankyou Tabitha. We are off to All England regionals today and I put the new version of 'Klear' in just in case. Good to know it works if she needs to use it to sort out her shoes for the following day. It is much cheaper and also easier to get hold of than the official stuff so its great that it still works. Will let our dance teacher know too as she used to stock Papillon hardener in the school shop but has had to look for a new supplier. Maybe she can sell the 'Klear' instead! Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply too Spannerandpony. I did look at this but its often the sides of the shoe that go soggy and I wasn't sure whether this was better for hardening the actual block.With the Klear or Papillon she swirls a bit round the whole toe area, wipes off the excess then leaves to dry. The royal teacher on the course was surprised that so few girls had been taught pointe shoe maintenance but I suspect its not necessary until you are doing several hours a week. I remember my daughters teacher coming our of a private with her week old shoes saying these have gone and my horrified look until she explained they merely needed hardening!

• Like 1

I've no idea 'alongfortheride' but when it was changed a few years ago I thought I would buy an old bottle on eBay only to find it was going for £25+ in some cases as it was also used by serious model makers for polishing plastic windscreens and the like! What's good enough for royal ballet if good enough for us however, so new Klear (now called Pledge floor cleaner) it is. Thanks to all who have replied!

• Like 3