RBS Junior Associates 2024

LVC

Hello. I was just wondering if anybody can share any information on the JA audition. We have purchased the insight classes online but just wondered if anybody had any other tips please. Many thanks. 

Edited by LVC

• LVC changed the title to Royal Ballet Junior associate audition

My daughter has her audition in May but is really nervous due to getting a no from Northern Ballet and her confidence being knocked. She got a recall after first set of auditions but wasn’t chosen ultimately and whilst she is usually a very resilient child, it has hit her a bit harder than expected. (I think because a close friend of hers got in and they got excited at the prospect of going together) Does the fact that the Northern ballet said no pretty much guarantee the RBS will too? I know there is no way of definitely knowing but I know RBS is the hardest to get into.  

Hello. I know two people who got a no from elmhurst young dancers and a yes to royal ballet associates so you never know! Also we got a no in year 3 for JAs, but got in in year 6 off the swl and then offered mids for year 7....so just because its a no it doesn't mean it will always be a no. My dd was upset but it made her more determined to try again. Xxx

2 hours ago, Dancing_Mae said:

My daughter has her audition in May but is really nervous due to getting a no from Northern Ballet and her confidence being knocked. She got a recall after first set of auditions but wasn’t chosen ultimately and whilst she is usually a very resilient child, it has hit her a bit harder than expected. (I think because a close friend of hers got in and they got excited at the prospect of going together) Does the fact that the Northern ballet said no pretty much guarantee the RBS will too? I know there is no way of definitely knowing but I know RBS is the hardest to get into.  

It certainly doesn't mean that your daughter doesn't have a good chance of getting into RBS but a lot of this is down to confidence and physique. It all depends who's there on the day and can come down to minute details. If it's a no, then it doesn't mean much at all, just that somebody else had 1mm more in something. It's tricky for young students to understand that, I know.

When a child is super confident then they tend to show themselves off and their work to their best. Let your daughter know that she doesn't need a school to tell her how lovely she is and to go in and show her self in her very best light. Have lots of fun, listen carefully to the teacher and music, lots of smiles and enthusiasm,  

stand tall, eyes up and have lots of fun being a jellyfish or whatever it is this year. Everyone seems to enjoy the audition a lot! Making sure your daughter knows she'll find joy in dancing whether she gets a place or not is key.

Because that's the truth - JA's is not everyone's taste and it lasts just a few years.

My daughter got a straight No from her first associate audition ( not RBS) she was very disappointed but later went on to become a RBS full time student. For better or worse . It's all swings and roundabouts. Good Luck 😊

• Like 1