How much pointe work?

Hi

My DD is considering applying for year 10 vocational and I understand pointe work hours increase significantly in year 9. DD is currently yr8 so will be auditioning in the autumn. She is currently in RAD adv 1 and will at some point in the next few months be taking IDTA intermediate. She probably does between 1/2 hr to 1hr pointe work per week plus a dedicated 45 mins once a month in an associate programme but is possibly stopping this soon. 

How much does this fit with what others are doing at a similar stage and what is out there for increased pointe classes outside of vocational schools? We’re not in London and so access to a wide range of free lance teachers isn’t possible but could look at local private lessons if needed. 

She doesn’t do festivals so only work is syllabus work at present. 

Any advice gratefully received. 

Here's an older thread that may still be relevant:

If you type "how much pointe work" into the search box there are also lots of other threads that may have more general but still useful information.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Here's an older thread that may still be relevant:

If you type "how much pointe work" into the search box there are also lots of other threads that may have more general but still useful information.

Ah sorry @Jan McNulty  I should have looked. Please feel free to delete this post and I’ll have a look through. 

Are there any glaring issues with her pointework? Any problems that her teacher is working on with her?

If everything is going smoothly and there’s nothing major then I would suggest you get in touch with Sarah Toner who could possibly arrange some weekly lesson online. I wouldn’t normally recommend doing pointework online but as you have no facilities near you and Sarah is very experienced and a wonderful teacher who can work equally well from a screen as she can in real life, then this seems a plausible option. 

It will give her the extra she needs and Sarah coaches / has coached many students through the vocational process so she knows the standards. TBH the pointework in vocational schools in the UK up to yr 9 is not what it should be in comparison to what students overseas are doing, so she’s probably hanging in there. Our experience in vocational was that pointework class was often the first thing to be cut if there were rehearsals/ performances ( even  rehearsals for a carol service in one vocational school!). There is also nothing major in the audition- it’s very basic. Where she will see a difference is actually at vocational yr 10. This is where everything changes because the overseas students just arriving look like professionals in regards their standards of pointe. They are completely comfortable executing the most challenging combinations en pointe with strength, accuracy and consistency.

It’s not the cheapest option I’m well aware but you’re in very safe hands with Sarah. sarah@sarahtoner.co.uk

• Like 4