Royal Conservatoire of Scotland - BA in Modern Ballet

meadowblythe

A quick heads up for those of you auditioning next year ...

Attended an audition at the Conservatoire on Thursday.  Very impressed by the staff, the facilities and the links with Scottish Ballet.  Third year students, and a few second year, take class with the company, and Christopher Hampton is, apparently, spending half a week there.  Also really like the set up where you have very close ties with the rest of the Conservatoire so a genuinely stimulating atmosphere and a chance to mix with other creative types - and even those like eldest DS who is co-incidentally applying for stage management there.

Oh, and its a Modern Ballet degree because it covers contemporary as well as ballet and modern as well as classical ballets.  And they have scholarships twoards the costs  for some non Scottish applicants as well as being able to get the standard grant.  The scholarships are awarded for all three years of the course.

I know there are others on this forum with more experience of the Conservatoire than I, but we were genuinely blown away by the friendliness, small class size (they take 12 students each year), and the standard of work observed when DS visited on the open day.

Now, do I risk uncrossing  my fingers and toes before finding where I put the kitchen sink in preparation for the next audition?

Meadowblythe

• Like 6

Hi here are the entry criteria (2013 entry) : Entrance Requirements for BA Modern Ballet

   

7 Standard Grades (Grade 1-3) or equivalent such as Intermediate 1 or 2. 5 GCSE‟s – Grades A*-C or equivalent Knowledge of ballet vocabulary to a minimum of Intermediate level (or equivalent) Appropriate physical qualities for a career in professional classical dance

Minimum age at entry normally 16 as at 1 October of year of entry.

My DD was offered a place (at 16) last year and we were impressed with the set up.  On further investigation it seemed the scholarships were actually means tested bursaries.  We know several people who have been on the course and the feedback has been very mixed, though I guess you will get this from all schools.