ROH's new "Carmen"

Geoff

The General rehearsal was last night. We don't review rehearsals but I think it is worth noting for those who are still undecided as to whether to get a ticket, there is no gorilla in the new production by Damiano Michieletto.

In fact this show feels almost like a companion piece to the same director's Cav and Pag. As Amazon might say, if you liked that, you may like this one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

The General rehearsal was last night. We don't review rehearsals but I think it is worth noting for those who are still undecided as to whether to get a ticket, there is no gorilla in the new production by Damiano Michieletto.

In fact this show feels almost like a companion piece to the same director's Cav and Pag. As Amazon might say, if you liked that, you may like this one. 

My thoughts exactly. No guesswork needed to identify the director.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Monday. Loved the actual direction and interpretation but found staging itself lacking and at points caricaturesque (the children holding boards?!). All the women shone brightly (even if Michaela’s looks were a joke - first student then church “beata” with a rosary as a medal?!). Carmen herself (Aigul) I found fascinating in all areas - beautiful singing and nonchalant acting. So much so I want to see her in Glyndebourne on same role. 

Edited by Cayetana
  • Like 1