Black Swans, fouettés and costumes in Swan Lake

On 22/03/2024 at 08:09, Geoff said:

I must check the books but might I ask a simple question? Tchaikovsky died in 1893 (the Swan Lake score having of course been composed many years before). My understanding is that discussions about mounting a new production did not start until after the composer was no longer alive, with the first night two years later. Is that right?

Hello again, Geoff.
After talking to three Russian ballet critics I contacted a ballet historian Andrei Galkin who has several published works on the history of Swan Lake original and later productions. This is his answer to your question:

"There are no documents directly indicating negotiations with Tchaikovsky regarding a new production, but there is clear indirect evidence that Swan Lake was planned to be staged during his lifetime.

November 19, 1893 I.A. Vsevolozhsky* submitted a report to the Minister of the Imperial Court with the proposed program for the concert in memory of Tchaikovsky, and it stated: “One act from the ballet “Swan Lake” op. Tchaikovsky (to be staged in the next season).” If we discard the extremely unlikely option in which it was decided to stage “Swan Lake” in the 1894/95 season between October 25** and November 19, then it follows from the report that the issue was decided when Tchaikovsky was alive."

---------------------

* I.A. Vsevolozhsky - Director of the St. Petersburg Imperial Theaters.
** Tchaikovsky died on 25 October 1893.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/03/2024 at 16:47, Sebastian said:

While we wait for hopefully definitive information from Russian historians, here are some interim notes. Wiley, who examined the papers in the 1980s, says there were plans developing before Tchaikovsky died. And Petipa, in his memoirs, writes of Tchaikovsky‘s „delight“ at the thought that Petipa would do Swan Lake. Tchaikovsky‘s death prompted a production of the Odile act as part of a memorial concert, extracted from what had already been set for the autumn 1894 season. 

Thank you Amelia. Seems this wasn’t so far off. 

• Like 2