Melvin Bragg: the Arts - "Sleepwalking into permanent mediocrity"

I've just found this still open in another tab, courtesy of last week's Links.  I'd meant to flag it earlier, but have only just realised it was there.  I don't know if the share token is still valid, but it says at the bottom of the article that it's an abridged version of a speech he recently delivered to the House of Lords - does that mean it will appear in Hansard or somewhere in due course?

Melvyn Bragg: ‘We are sleepwalking into permanent mediocrity’ (thetimes.co.uk)

"It’s strange that over the past decade the creative industries have grown at 1.5 times the rate of the wider economy. They have contributed billions of pounds of business activity and exports. But again and again these profits drain away and the only begetter, the arts, is left stranded on overdrafts."

Hugely depressing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

I've just found this still open in another tab, courtesy of last week's Links.  I'd meant to flag it earlier, but have only just realised it was there.  I don't know if the share token is still valid, but it says at the bottom of the article that it's an abridged version of a speech he recently delivered to the House of Lords - does that mean it will appear in Hansard or somewhere in due course?

Melvyn Bragg: ‘We are sleepwalking into permanent mediocrity’ (thetimes.co.uk)

"It’s strange that over the past decade the creative industries have grown at 1.5 times the rate of the wider economy. They have contributed billions of pounds of business activity and exports. But again and again these profits drain away and the only begetter, the arts, is left stranded on overdrafts."

Hugely depressing.

The start of the Lords' debate is at the link below

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/4a103539-5cf0-4704-81e0-5a2616ae04b1?in=11:51:21&_gl=1*1ceoixq*_ga*MjUwNjE3ODY4LjE3MDc1MDkzNjQ.*_ga_L0NJWDWMGN*MTcwNzUwOTM2NC4xLjEuMTcwNzUwOTM5OC4yNi4wLjA.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I meant to draw attention to it when I came across it in the links. Good to see Melvyn Bragg still making such an eloquent and forceful argument for the Arts. (Always grateful to  the Links people who uncover  out these interesting articles and galleries which would otherwise go unnoticed by most of us here). 

• Like 2