Birmingham Royal Ballet - Sleeping Beauty, Spring 2024

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh, I didn't realise they were repeating this in London. I wonder if it's likely to be the same dancers as in the Birmingham performance? I'm very tempted to see if I can possibly afford to squeeze it in as it looked like a really nice programme.

No casting announced yet, Dawnstar, and because there are other performances (BRB2, Black Sabbath tour, etc) that they're preparing for, it's a bit hard to predict accurately. I'm quite tempted to go too, but I have to wait to see if I am free that night. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

No casting announced yet, Dawnstar, and because there are other performances (BRB2, Black Sabbath tour, etc) that they're preparing for, it's a bit hard to predict accurately. I'm quite tempted to go too, but I have to wait to see if I am free that night. 

I'm waiting for the casting for Northern Ballet's R&J at Sadler's Wells for that week so I don't know yet which performance of that I'll be going to & therefore if I'll be free on 29th or not.

ETA With the discussions about the SB costumes, I've just seen this on Twitter!

(I hope this isn't too off topic as it's not a ballet costume. If it is then please remove.)

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm waiting for the casting for Northern Ballet's R&J at Sadler's Wells for that week so I don't know yet which performance of that I'll be going to & therefore if I'll be free on 29th or not.

ETA With the discussions about the SB costumes, I've just seen this on Twitter!

(I hope this isn't too off topic as it's not a ballet costume. If it is then please remove.)

Lol! It's certainly eye catching, but I think it looks more like "Flintstones-the Ballet" or "Barney And Friends" (several decades too early for 'Jurassic Park-the Ballet"!) than Sleeping Beauty?  😄 

Yes, Northern Ballet's 2nd performance of Romeo and Juliet also on the same night as BRB's Tchaikovsky ballets with RPO! 

On 24/04/2024 at 23:50, Sebastian said:

Incidentally, three choreographers are credited in the programme. Petipa, of course, and also Peter Wright (it is his production and Wright in turn credits Frederick Ashton for an Aurora solo and a pas de quatre variation). But equal prominence is also given to Lev Ivanov, as if Sleeping Beauty is like Swan Lake or Nutcracker. Does anyone know why? As BRB will not have made a mistake, what did Ivanov contribute to this production? 

Following up this question, the programme credits the choreography (prominently and at the start) to “Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, Peter Wright”. Roland John Wiley has written more extensively and authoritatively on Ivanov than anyone else working in English and he is clear.

Here is a relevant paragraph from Wiley’s 1997 book, The Life and Ballets of Lev Ivanov. I hope BRB puts this right next time. 

IMG_7940.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Following up this question, the programme credits the choreography (prominently and at the start) to “Marius Petipa, Lev Ivanov, Peter Wright”. Roland John Wiley has written more extensively and authoritatively on Ivanov than anyone else working in English and he is clear.

Here is a relevant paragraph from Wiley’s 1997 book, The Life and Ballets of Lev Ivanov. I hope BRB puts this right next time. 

IMG_7940.jpeg

Hi Sebastian, I actually remembered your question and meant to make a comment but forgot (sorry) when I was typing my review as my contribution was so lengthy already. Lev Ivanov, from my copious reading (probably nothing as copious as the reading you've done though!) wasn't involved at all with Sleeping Beauty from what I know, and that's backed up by what you've found.

However, in some passages of Act 2, where the corps de ballet dance some lyrical choreography in lieu of Florimund and Lilac Fairy travelling on the boat, some of the dancing is a little reminiscent of the Snowflakes and Swan scenes that Ivanov did for Nutcracker and the 1895 production of Swan Lake- not entire dances, but several bars of music and inspiration.  I couldn't find any other passages, variations or dances that looked like they came out of Ivanov choreography. It's only a guess, because apart from it being a typing or copying error, that's the only plausible explanation I can think of.

The only person who can answer the question is Sir Peter Wright of course....if you do feel up to writing to him soon via BRB, do let us know what the reply is.  🙂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1