NYCB Winter Season 24 – Musings …

Was hoping that there might be some footage of the Emma Von Enck / David Gilbert triumph last night in Ballo but I couldn't find any.

If you would like to catch a glimpse of Emma here are a few tidbits - 

(i) A selection of VERY brief (roughly spliced) highlights from Robbins' Brandenburg Concerto (I think this is one of the many Robbins' works that is yet to be seen in the territorial UK) - Here Emma is dancing with Roman Mejia.  They always look wonderful together - as certainly they did last Winter in the Bluebird PDD and in segments of Tiler's new ballet this season.  Their heights are perfectly matched.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuNwgMlgsso/?hl=en

(ii)  Emma can be seen here in a segment of Balanchine's one act Swan Lake take.  (NYCB also has a full length one now by Peter Martins and I know there are a goodly number of people who are hoping that Ratmansky might fashion one for NYCB based on that he originally did for Zurich Ballet.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtJucL9L8Uk/?hl=en

(iii)  Here is something you will find familiar - even if the choreography is from Peter Martins' production of Sleeping Beauty.  Here Emma is seen in a small segment as Puss to - and I can't quite tell under all that hair - but if I had to guess I think it might be Harrison Coll's Boots.  How I vividly remember Albert Evans in the premiere of that same role on its opening night in the last Century.  How he did make me laugh.  No one rolled on the floor quite like Albert .... You could virtually hear his prominent purr.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co0ItJLA9_0/?hl=en

Enjoy.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I have come to feel that NYCB - in Jonathan and Wendy's able hands - is capable of all kinds of magical possibilities.  

The future can look bright they - and certainly I - think.  

Assuredly they have seen that all the necessary parts are there.

Time - AS EVER - will tell.

It always does.  

Thanks, Bruce, for these optimistic thoughts. Here are a few sentences from what I’ve added elsewhere:

As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve long envisioned a more 'dreamlike' sort of Wheeldon-Whelan aesthetic emerging at NYCB in addition to the great George Balanchine heritage and beyond….Ever since the first time that I saw video clips of Wendy Whelan performing “After The Rain” I was embraced. From what I’ve read Wendy Whelan worked through its creation with Christopher Wheeldon, adding her elements of physicality.

Now that she’s NYCB’s Associate Artistic Director (also in charge of new works, I believe) this seems more possible than ever. As she says in the above Instagram glimpse, she wants to continue  dancing as well as creating. Why not do the both together as she did with Christopher Wheeldon ?

Posted (edited)

Buddy, I know you often went to and were very admiring of the various Russian White Nights festivals.  Time methinks to come east in your own country and enjoy the real World-Class fare there on offer.  Certainly you will - through Balanchine - find much of the best of the Russian constructs, delivered in the most uniquely visionary fashion for not just our own but decidedly ALL time.  Enjoy, my friend.  Be proud.  

-----------

Below is a posting I placed on a news strand item just a short while ago.  I want to put it up here to end this strand - as I have determined this will be my farewell to reviewing NYCB from NYC for the BcoF board certainly - (certainly while that is the Company are not coming to London which will I know be most years).  I have enjoyed this and hope it will have had some positive affect on your understanding of the Sadler's Wells outing - the one as explicitly seen through Alistair Spalding eyes.  As has been said, that is NOT a programme that would EVER show up Stateside or certainly at the Theater formerly known as State.  (Quite frankly I refuse to call it anything else.  Have for YEARS.  Just call me old fashioned.)  

-----

Want to finish this strand with something special - All season inside  - indeed outside during the previous one - there has been an 'art exhibit' called 'Slow Dancing'.  This was where an artist copiously filmed/photographed NYCB dancers doing a range of NYCB works (There is a picture of Cameron Grant in Love Letter - but I don't think he will be coming as he has been injured).  These were with dancers who were available at the time.   There were many debuts in this mix certainly.  You see them in multiple roles and then the artists put huge screen segments up in slow motion - always in threes so you were always surrounded by enormous images - just so you could admire the artistry.  It has proven highly successful with NYCB audiences.  

https://www.nycballet.com/discover/special-projects/slowdancing-nycb

Today's final matinee ended on a high.  The lovely Sara Adams (who IS coming to London) led the first campaign in Stars and Emily Kikta positively glowed leading the second.  She was oh, so much more relaxed and assured than yesterday afternoon.  Danny Ulbrecht again led the men spectacularly.  How I wish you could see this.  Danny's over 40 .. You have to wonder how he has the capacity to dance as much as he does.  I remember the great joy when Muntagirov did eight sparkling double tours throughout a manege during his second La Bayadere variation.  Wonderful it was too (and I sincerely hope we might get a chance to see him do it again in London before he retires.)  Just imagine the thrill then of having an entire stage of men doing EXACTLY THAT very same combination in stunning unison.  It literally takes your breath away.  Danny is such a good sport - in Stars' final movement he literally has to partner both soloist women - sometimes simultaneously - and believe it or not he ONLY comes up to about Kikta's breast when she is on point.  You could see they were having a wonderful time as were Roman and the dazzling Mira (sadly she'll be in a Gustave bag in London) as the Captain and his Liberty Bell.  Balanchine's tongue was decidedly in his check on this one - but ALWAYS in fiercely classical mode.  Talk about difficult!!! - This was decidedly built to test.  The Tschai PDD was so glorious today too with the lovely Indiana Woodward (be prepared to be charmed ... She is just SOOOO French) and the fleet of foot Anthony Huxley.  They relaxed into the whole and this PDD very much built with the music.  (So often it can stray into being a specific sum of its defining parts - given the nature of the construct.)  Today it had a defining build and was all the better for it.  Even Wheldon's absurd Carnival of Animals was tolerable - with the truly spectacular Chun Wei Chan amazing all and sundry with his seemingly never ending rounds of perfect tours a la seconde (minus the Roman hops it must be said) in his lion outfit.  The little lad near me in a full capacity State Theatre - the one dressed as a green dinosaur - was certainly having a whale of a time - as was I.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Hmm, the London tour cast list disappeared for a little while (perhaps to confirm injury replacements) but is now back on the SWT website. 

I see Tiler Peck isn't coming to London but given what she announced on Instagram about her foot injury it's probably wise not to fly. So relieved I managed to see her at Sadler's Wells last March but hope she will be invited back (by any company or any theatre or both!) to dance here again soon when she has recovered.

Glad to see that Ulbricht, Mejia, Mearns, Woodward, Stanley, Danchig-Waring, Huxley and Megan Fairchild are still currently on the list. 

Sorry, @Emeralds - answered this elsewhere.  I think there are now three NYCB strands - just have to make sure you click on the right one -

Here's my response to the above - 

Yes - thanks heavens Danny is NOW BACK ... and, in fact, so is Roman back to in Rotunda.  Very strange that alternative cast list - not surprised it disappeared.  So pleased - Rotunda is a different ballet with Danny - and I'm sure Roman too - although he didn't do his performances in NYC - nor not even the rehearsal - which Furlan DID dance.  I guess that DJ is now replacing Davide Riccardo.  Both are fine dancers (the first small; the other a tall Italian - His Phlegmatic in 4Ts was divine.  Hope he is OK - Davide.  He certainly danced last Sunday's final matinee and looked AOK then.  Hope he's just taking a break.

So pleased too that they are bringing Sara Adams - another good dancer.  She's only doing Rotunda - but assume she is being brought to cover as well.  Wise move - she's always looked good when she's covered in the past.