Royal ballet school new artistic director?

mart

20 minutes ago, Roberta said:

It all got rather specific in the middle of the night and we do need to keep it general I feel rather than any particular school, and this thread is about a particular school. This particular school, the RBS, was specifically mentioned by Leigh Day as the one a court case was being brought against. I don't know how far along the line that has now proceeded. (And we need to always have libel law in our minds of course, I had a friend caught up in one of those, a SLAPP case really, and though she didn't lose it still cost her a great deal of money to fight  / settle.) Last news I saw on the RBS case was here. https://www.leighday.co.uk/news/blog/2023-blogs/abuse-in-ballet-update/

We have registered one case already at the High Court in London and await a court hearing to address next steps in that case, to include the listing of a trial date. We have also instructed a barrister Nina Ross to work with us on these cases, and she is also going to be acting, as we are, on a no win no fee basis.

Royal Ballet haven’t provided a response at the date of writing

This is why I said I think it could be a poisoned chalice for any new AD.  New job and the glare of adverse publicity? 

I can't say who I think will be applying for the role as I have no crystal ball.   I'm not sure some mentioned here have the relevant experience. / expertise mix. The current AD is staying on until summer I believe and I look forward to reading the advert with the role description. 

As an aside, it wasn't so very long ago that students at White Lodge were expected to curtsey / bow if the Director was spotted in the vicinity. That was still the case when Mere Park was in charge. Quaint. 

I don’t find it quaint at all. And finding out it happened ‘ not so long ago’

makes me even less impressed.  It happened at my vocational school ( not RBS) when I first went age 10. Definitely a hark back to Establishment and their strange fascination with power/ control/ authority and social status.

Thank goodness, most have now modernised and students make the choices and decisions about their own destiny, guided by approachable tutors.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ruby Foo said:

Thank you for educating me Roberta.

I've never been a cap doffer either, though of course a reverence at the end of class to teacher and pianist is a different thing.  This has started me off thinking about a bow and a curtsey to the audience at the end of a performance, though maybe not the scope of this thread. 

• Like 1

Dear Members,

As most of you are probably aware by now, litigation against the Royal Ballet School, The Hammond School, and London Vocational School (formerly YDA), is being initiated.  Therefore, in line with our legal obligations (and as we have done in the case of other institutions), we are suspending all further comments about the schools until legal action is completed.  We would request you to please refrain from commenting on the lawsuits or anything else to do with the schools until further notice...this includes opening up new threads on any such subject.  

We do understand the amount of frustration this might cause, but as moderators we have to take a neutral approach and protect the forum and its members from any potential action or fallout.  We thank you in advance for your understanding and co-operation in this matter.

This thread is locked, for the above reasons, until further notice .

Kind regards,

The Moderators

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1