what should I be asking? (at auditions, if parents get a chance to ask them)

LyndseyJ

Our DD has her auditions coming up for The Hammond (18th) and Tring Park (14th), 

I am now starting to get nervous for her, she has been putting in a lot of hard work focusing on her stretches and practising her dance that she has prepared, We are going through her song of choice for her solo song for The Hammond (that worries me as she is not a singer!!!) 

I don't want to put a load of pressure on her, and want her to go and enjoy the experience, but obviously want her to do well and give it 100%.

What could you advice us to do with her over the next week and a half.

Is there any questions that we should be asking at the auditions if we have the chance? 

4 hours ago, LyndseyJ said:

Our DD has her auditions coming up for The Hammond (18th) and Tring Park (14th), 

I am now starting to get nervous for her, she has been putting in a lot of hard work focusing on her stretches and practising her dance that she has prepared, We are going through her song of choice for her solo song for The Hammond (that worries me as she is not a singer!!!) 

I don't want to put a load of pressure on her, and want her to go and enjoy the experience, but obviously want her to do well and give it 100%.

What could you advice us to do with her over the next week and a half.

Is there any questions that we should be asking at the auditions if we have the chance? 

I cant remember parents getting a chance to ask questions at the auditions but Tring will ask her why she would like to go there. 
There was also an academics test at Tring. Reading and spelling, possibly arithmetic too. 
wishing you the best of luck 🤞🏻 

Edited by Adagio123

• Jan McNulty changed the title to what should I be asking? (at auditions, if parents get a chance to ask them)

The most important thing is that she is able to go and do her best on the day. She can only do that if she is feels happy and confident and free from pressure and stress. She sounds like she has prepared well so there’s no need to force things and keep doing them over and over unless she wants to of course. Now you can focus on being super organised from a practical point of view so there are no glitches on the day - travel timings, spare shoes/ uniform / snack and water bottle and giving her confidence at every opportunity. Putting the emphasis on having a great day out together with plenty fun along the way will relieve her of anxiety and nerves and allow her to relax and do her best. She should have a little think about why going to these particular schools would be important to her and how best to communicate her passion for dance as she will certainly be asked those questions by Tring at least. The academic tests are just a formality to reveal any serious learning difficulties that might need specific attention if a student was to attend. They have no bearing on the result. The more relaxed you can be about the whole event the more freedom she has to shine. Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck to your Dd! Please don't sorry about the song for Hammond! My dd is also not a singer and got mds offer....its more about having the confidence to have a go! Mds is based on their potential for classical ballet so they won't be ruled out on their singing ability. 

I'd just ask any questions you're interested in knowing. E.g. what dance styles will they do? What do they do on weekends? Are there performance opportunities etc! 

Like Ruby says it's all about enjoying the day and using it as an opportunity for a fun day of dancing in lovely studios! My dd loved audition week and we met some lovely mums who we are still in touch with now x 

• Thanks 1

Tring gave us a parents meeting whilst the DCs were getting ready for audition.  It was really informative.  Whilst the DCs are waiting to audition they had some existing 6th formers on hand for them to ask any questions or just to put them at ease.  We also had a mini tour whilst we waited.  Interview was relatively easy, they just asked them some general questions, nothing too taxing.  They are not trying to catch them out.  Good luck!

56 minutes ago, WhereToNow said:

Tring gave us a parents meeting whilst the DCs were getting ready for audition.  It was really informative.  Whilst the DCs are waiting to audition they had some existing 6th formers on hand for them to ask any questions or just to put them at ease.  We also had a mini tour whilst we waited.  Interview was relatively easy, they just asked them some general questions, nothing too taxing.  They are not trying to catch them out.  Good luck!

thank you for replying, I’m sure DD won’t mind the interview, I’ve just explained to her that I just want her to go and enjoy the experience, and enjoy what ever comes her way

4 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Good luck to your Dd! Please don't sorry about the song for Hammond! My dd is also not a singer and got mds offer....its more about having the confidence to have a go! Mds is based on their potential for classical ballet so they won't be ruled out on their singing ability. 

I'd just ask any questions you're interested in knowing. E.g. what dance styles will they do? What do they do on weekends? Are there performance opportunities etc! 

Like Ruby says it's all about enjoying the day and using it as an opportunity for a fun day of dancing in lovely studios! My dd loved audition week and we met some lovely mums who we are still in touch with now x 

thank you for replying, that’s put my mind at ease, and I’m looking forward to doing this with her, I won’t be going to Tring though my DH will be taking her, I’ve not managed to get to Tring. 

The Hammond seems like a lovely school, I have been for a viewing of the school.