Jill Ogai and Marcus Morelli promoted to principal dancers of Australian Ballet onstage!

Sorry to pre-empt our Australian members but I was too excited and thrilled! First Marcus, then Jill, were announced as principal dancers onstage after their performances as Odette/Odile and Siegfried at the Sydney Opera House by David Hallberg (and presented with red roses and hugs by Fiona Tonkin). Love these two and their artistry. They have such star quality and charisma- they live the roles, they don't just execute the steps.  Congratulations to them both! 👏 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

(For the sweet video where Marcus is moved to tears and Jill is given a surprise,  not suspecting that there are two promotions rather than one, have a look at Australian Ballet's Facebook page- you don't need an account to see it online.)

On IG as well (Aus Ballet). Thank you for flagging this! 

@Bluebird will hopefully provide a report as she was there! 

Couldn't be more pleased for both - his partnering needs work but gee he can dance! She has grown in the last two or three years so much from the girl I once condemned as a great contemporary dancer. Now a real artist.

• Like 2

I never saw Robert Helpmann onstage in person,  other than filmed dance and acting performances on TV, but I'd say Marcus has something of Helpmann's dramatic gifts and the skill to fuse the dancing and acting so he is portraying a character or story through his dancing. 

As a side topic covered in the thread on Koen Kessels, I can report to @Sophoife from the video that Jonathan Lo was being very good and conducting Swan Lake in Sydney for Jill and Marcus  (unfortunately RB is borrowing him again from the beginning of March to 12 April ...but we will "give" him back!) 😀

PS can't wait to hear what @Bluebird thought of the show!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Sorry to pre-empt our Australian members but I was too excited and thrilled! First Marcus, then Jill, were announced as principal dancers onstage after their performances as Odette/Odile and Siegfried at the Sydney Opera House by David Hallberg (and presented with red roses and hugs by Fiona Tonkin). Love these two and their artistry. They have such star quality and charisma- they live the roles, they don't just execute the steps.  Congratulations to them both! 👏 

How do you know all this, Emeralds?

You seem to be able to watch every company everywhere in the world 😊

I find it hard enough to keep up with the UK companies with a smattering of European and, however I hard I might try, I am not familiar with the names of dancers elsewhere, let alone their dancing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sophoife said:

@Bluebird will hopefully provide a report as she was there! 

Couldn't be more pleased for both - his partnering needs work but gee he can dance! She has grown in the last two or three years so much from the girl I once condemned as a great contemporary dancer. Now a real artist.

I was, indeed, there.  I’d seen Jill and Marcus earlier on in the run at a performance when they’d, unexpectedly, replaced another couple. Although that earlier performance was good, last night’s was on another level. Their chemistry in the white acts was palpable and, in the Act 3 pas de deux, they were on fire.  It was almost as if they sensed what was to come!  Congratulations to them both.  On last night’s showing, the promotions are very well deserved.

Edited as I omitted to credit @Sophoife in my post.  It's thanks to her that I've been able to see so many Swan Lakes in this run. Last year, when the tickets went on sale, I was in an aeroplane on my way to Sydney and, since the affordable tickets sell out very quickly, she was kind enough to do my booking for me.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, capybara said:

How do you know all this, Emeralds?

You seem to be able to watch every company everywhere in the world 😊

I find it hard enough to keep up with the UK companies with a smattering of European and, however I hard I might try, I am not familiar with the names of dancers elsewhere, let alone their dancing.

It happened to come up on Facebook 😀. I follow the companies the moment they announce they are visiting London as many of them post cast changes, cancellations or programme changes on FB. I don't use Instagram or Twitter/X though- one is enough.

Sometimes I unfollow the companies when they've left if they are not likely to tour to London again soon, sometimes I just leave them on. Australian Ballet were in London in August so that's when I saw Jill and Marcus, who were marvellous at two performances I saw both in. I've seen Jill on their previous visit to the Coliseum and remembered her (unusual surname) as well; she was in a character part. For me one or two ballets are enough to decide whether I like them or feel they have artist/star quality - ie not just doing steps correctly but bringing meaning, interpretation or heart to the role. 

I  wasn't at this Swan Lake but all my info is from the video (you can deduce Jonathan Lo was conducting as he was right next to Marcus with his baton in his hand). Much of my news nowadays is from FB, Internet or info from friends who pass me the online articles. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1