Birmingham Royal Ballet- The Nutcracker (17 November- 9 December 2023) Birmingham Hippodrome

26 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Was it debuts this time (or perhaps earlier this run) for Reina Fuchigami as Clara, Riku Ho as the Prince, and Rachel Pizzillo as the SPF? I thought those two main ladies were a touch overshadowed by a super performance from Celine Gittens as The Rose Fairy.

The only debut was Rachel Pizzillo.

It's horses for courses isn't it Richard.  I love the clear story telling in BRB's production and absolutely loathe the RB production (even more than I dislike the current ENB production).

For me, the great thing about Nutcracker is that, based on the same or similar scenario, different companies manage to bring that magical feeling in different ways. The BRB version has always been a favourite and tonight I was reminded of its many unique and wonderful touches - from scenery / production and costumes, to elements of the choreography and storytelling.

It's been a few years since I managed to fit in a visit. Last time I was very impressed by Beatrice Parma as Clara, and tonight it was fantastic to see her dancing Sugar Plum Fairy so beautifully. Rosanna Ely was a lovely and confident Clara (according to the programme, her first season in the role) and I particularly enjoyed Lachlan Monaghan's Drosselmeyer, leading us all through the adventure. Yaoqian Shang was another stand out as Rose Fairy. But overall the whole cast was on great form. 

• Like 8

I had the pleasure of taking my DD to the Nutcracker this year as she had been asking to go for the last few years. 

She is a Saturday associate at Midland Theatre Ballet, she really enjoyed seeing Rosanna Ely in the performance as she has taught DD in her associate classes. She cannot wait for Yvette Knight to come back to the productions as she is currently teaching DD. 

I loved the show and became very emotional through out. I am looking forward to taking DD to more productions through out the next year. Taking her to see the show has given her more fight to dance and get into the schools where she wishes to attend next September. 

• Like 6