Northern Ballet (Leeds) CAT vs Junior Associates

BalletMummy123

Hi everyone!

DD is currently on the Junior Associates scheme at Northern Ballet and really enjoys it. She wants to go to vocational school but we aren’t quite sure if she’s ready. I really like the idea of the CAT scheme as a way of getting the vocational training whilst at home but I’ve been put off by quite a few individuals saying the JA scheme there is far better than the CAT and the teaching on the JA scheme is better and she’s be better off just staying as an associate. 

Obviously that’s just a few people’s experience or opinions but at the minute it’s all we have to go off. Does anyone have any opinions on the CAT scheme and the quality of the teaching? Does it get the students to the standard they need to be? I can see they have lots of students go on to vocational schools but also quite a few who don’t. 

Any opinions and advice is greatly appreciated ☺️

I can’t speak for CAT scheme as we didn’t do it as not one close to us! but if we had our time again we wouldn’t go to vocational school! 

Our happiest time was when we did RBS JA’s, we still look back fondly on those times! It was what came after that nearly broke our dd and it was only finding a college at 16+ (not even one of the so called top 4!) that put our dd back together again and gave her back her love of ballet that she had in JA’s. 
So my advice would be find an amazing teacher, stick with JA’s, MA’s SA’s (if you can) and keep your daughter at home

🥰🩰🥰

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

I can’t speak for CAT scheme as we didn’t do it as not one close to us! but if we had our time again we wouldn’t go to vocational school! 

Our happiest time was when we did RBS JA’s, we still look back fondly on those times! It was what came after that nearly broke our dd and it was only finding a college at 16+ (not even one of the so called top 4!) that put our dd back together again and gave her back her love of ballet that she had in JA’s. 
So my advice would be find an amazing teacher, stick with JA’s, MA’s SA’s (if you can) and keep your daughter at home

🥰🩰🥰

Thank you so much for your reply!  She does RBS JA and Northern Ballet JA currently and she does love both of these. 
She’s done a few summer residentials this summer and fell in love with vocational school but I think she loves the idea of it more than the reality I’m not sure. 
We live close to Northern Ballet so that’s why I though CAT would be a good option but I’ve not heard too many positives about it so was hoping there would be some who had experience of it xx

• Like 1

I have heard that it’s very good from parents whose children were also on a RBS SA course in Leeds, some of whom did both and got places at top 16+ upper schools. 

If you have the option of good local training like this I would seriously consider it as an alternative to going away as a boarder at a young age. 

Edited by Kerfuffle
Grammar mistakes! 🤭
  • Like 1

My DC started on the CAT scheme this year. Obviously it’s still early days but they are loving the programme and we have been impressed with the standard of teaching and the progress they have made so far.

My DC has never done the Associate Programme at Northern, so can’t comment on how the standard of teaching compares. However, they were a Mid Associate with RBS. We gave up their MA place to do the CAT scheme and do not have any regrets so far. 😊

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a few year since my dd did Northern Ballet CATs.  She really liked it and did benefit.  One thing she struggled with was the different styles as this differed to her RAD lessons and she had dyslexia so had to work really hard to keep switching back and forth.  It was a massive commitment for us as a family but was worth it and they allowed me to work from one of the rooms. She got a scholarship to vocational school and left the scheme early which wasn’t too well received but I understand why.  Another girl went on to White Lodge including 6th form and looks to have done very well.  The classes were smaller than the Associates I recall and we were really impressed at the time.