Chaplin, Leipzig Ballett

Yesterday I travelled to Leipzig (about an hour and a half from Berlin) to see the day performance (luckily it was a holiday in Saxony) of Mario Schroder's ballet "Chaplin".           First of all I should say that Leipzig itself is very much worth of visiting and with luck you can both have sightseeing, theater visit and even gastronomy experience. The trip can be easily organised from Berlin, though in our particular case we had some troubles with German railroads (Deutsche bahn), or rather DB had troubles with the trains and  timetable.

Leipzig has a big and impressive opera house quite close to the railway station and city center. "Chaplin" was created for some 10 years ago and was filmed on DVD; I've found a good article about this ballet : https://www.hdvdarts.com/titles/chaplin.html , so I'll just write about my impressions. 

Through the whole performance (1,5 hours, no break) I kept staring fascinated at the stage. Chaplin itself (Alessandro Repellini) and Trump (Monica Barbotte) caught our attention from the start, but each one of the performers was delivering the great  dance experience, every movement, every glance, every expression.

The mother was danced by Ester Ferrini and she indeed managed to show the loss of mind and the torn soul. The father was danced by Carl van Godtsenhoven, Mildred by Kalina Petkova, Paulette by Soojeong Choi, Oona by Vivian Wang and Dictator was Joao Ludwig. The corps de ballet did amazing job at the incredible speed. It's difficult to name the scene I liked most, everything was presented at the highest level but of course Charlie and Trump were absolutely divine. 

It was my fourth ballet in four days but the first one with true ovations in the end and Mario Schroder himself was on the scene to receive them.

Edited by Estreiiita
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Estreiiita changed the title to Chaplin, Leipzig Ballett
12 hours ago, Estreiiita said:

in our particular case we had some troubles with German railroads (Deutsche bahn), or rather DB had troubles with the trains and  timetable.

Seems to be quite a regular thing in Germany nowadays: The Guardian had an article about it a few weeks ago.  It seems the days of German trains being reliably punctual may be over.

13 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

@Estreiiita glad you enjoyed the performance. Leipzig is indeed worth visiting for Culture (Opera House, Gewandhaus) and the beautiful Zoo.

Side note: please make Trump a tramp in your post...I was slightly shocked😀.

Oh, I'm so sorry - Tramp, of course! 😅

7 hours ago, alison said:

Seems to be quite a regular thing in Germany nowadays: The Guardian had an article about it a few weeks ago.  It seems the days of German trains being reliably punctual may be over.

There are a lot of problems with Deutsche Bahn, yes. But of course people only post bad things on social media when they faced a travel problem, nobody reports a "I arrived in time and comfy". The trouble with many overcrowded trains happened in summer. Politicians decided to offer this for 3 month, when people could buy a monthly "9 Euro" Ticket and could use almost all local trains (no Express trains) within Germany to get from A to B. Highly uncomfortable for long distances though. Example: from Berlin to Munich, change trains 3 or 4 times, arrival after 9 hours.🤪

(Instead of 4 hours with ICE sprinter). It was better for short distances, so lots of people travelled especially during weekends. Overcrowded trains due to a lack of coaches and drivers created A LOT of frustrated people. The idea behind (more public transport,  less cars) was good, but made without brain. When you don't have trains and or drivers, the special ticket is useless. And since DB also fired a lot of people and closed repair factories, the lack of punctuality is the other consequence.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2