Carlos Pons Guerra/Northern Opera Group - Maria de Buenos Aires (Piazzolla)

Over the past few years you may have realised that I have seen and enjoyed a number of productions by Carlos Pons Guerra/De Nada Dance Theatre.

Last night was a bit different - an opera but with the emphasis on dance.  

The opera - Maria de Buenos Aires - has music by Astor Piazzolla and words by Horacio Ferrer.  Carlos was the director and choreographer.

The libretto, which I read twice before the performance started and once in the interval, is simple.  Maria is a young woman lured by the bright lights and tangos of Buenos Aires.  She becomes a prostitute and is ultimately murdered.  In act 2 she comes back as a shadow of herself and becomes impregnated giving birth to herself at the end!

Maria was sung by Julia Solomon who, to my ears, was outstanding in the role.  She was passionate but understated and a very expressive actress. There were 2 male singers who framed the performance.  I think there is a technical term for almost speaking the words as well as singing.

There were six dancers - 4 women and 2 men.  Carlos' choreography was tango infused and very lyrical in act 1.  The dancers interacted with Maria a lot and it was just beautiful to watch.  In act 2 the choreography had a sharper edge as the shadow of Maria is chased across the city.

I think the tango music of Piazzolla will be known to most of us and his style was held throughout the performance.  The orchestra was superb.

The music, singing and dancing all melded together beautifully, making a cohesive whole that was a joy to watch and was obviously enjoyed by the whole audience judging by the enthusiastic reaction of the audience at the curtain calls.

The audience seemed to be mostly opera lovers with a sprinkling of dance lovers.

This piece is being performed twice more as part of the Leeds Opera Festival but I do hope that it is taken up and can be seen elsewhere.  I would love to see it again and would recommend it to both opera and dance lovers.

IMG_7047.thumb.jpeg.282fd7576e3f8e415181a219a1b87738.jpegIMG_7048.thumb.jpeg.8493a56854b8b0e0910ef181bc427693.jpegIMG_7050.thumb.jpeg.88c0a7218c34d12029584c7a410cb452.jpegIMG_7052.thumb.jpeg.5414b4cc481f75321c34f7a5491c3890.jpegIMG_7056.thumb.jpeg.8e90f4353f946bb9006aea2b23dc17eb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think there is a technical term for almost speaking the words as well as singing.

Recitative?

This sounds wonderful, Jan, and how novel to have a contemporary (semi)-operatic piece that can be enjoyed rather than endured. Hopefully it will make its way to London. 

• Like 1