Is there an alternative to 6th form vocational schools?

Friends

That is an interesting link suzyszoo. I wonder if it will take off? If the schools cannot be selective, then in this case they are selecting by gender at least.

Perhaps offering lots of dance training might mean only those who really want that would apply for a place thereby self selecting to a certain degree. It would be too much dance and not enough academics for some wouldn't it? so they woudn't choose that school. The ethos of the school would have to be serious training which could be non selective but would perhaps only be enjoyed and "endured" by those who want it. Hope that makes sense. In lots of ways I do think there is a place for a dance school which is less harshly selective than the current vocational schools - it could lead on to a broader range of further dance courses for classical and other careers. My daughter is in a company with disabled dancers and the pure pleasure those young people get from dance is wonderful to see. They would love a dance based school. There is no reason the dance classes cannot be taught at different levels within the school. It would be an interesting project. Perhaps a way of actually getting the government to support young people rather than making life so hard for them.

• Like 3

you may see a link between my name and the name of the dad in the BBC article!

We got quite a long way into the process of setting up a free school. My background is education, and we had a strong steering group. However, I think it is almost impossible to set up a free school whilst you have a full time job yourself. Most (not all, I imagine there would be at least some exception and I accept that before I get any responses as such) free schools that have been successful have had significant support from consultancies, or were set up as part of a charity or another school.

So we have had to put the project on hold. You can see the philosophy and other aspects of the school at www.class-dance.co.uk.

as to some of the questions, yes, it had to be non-selective, but you are allowed to set up single sex schools. A co-ed school would by its very nature be about 80% girls and my vision was to use dance as an educational support for boys. Note it was not meant to be an alternative to RBS, Elmhurst, YDA, Tring etc etc etc.

It would have been inclusive, disabled pupils would have been welcomed, and there was a super dance schedule (with 1.5 hours of dance per day in addition to the academic schedule) worked out by the Royal Ballet School, who were very supportive. If a boy was able to leave and go to a vocational school at some point, then great. But we were equally concerned with ensuring boys leaving at 16 were able to choose whatever course they wanted, be this dance or physics.

It would not have had a sixth form, as there is sufficient CATS scheme and DADA schools in London and we wanted to feed into those rather than be an alternative.  We also had a really innovative academic and pastoral curriculum.

Maybe things will happen again, but at the moment I don't think so as work is increasing rather than decreasing.

Finally, DS was very embarrased to have such a young photo used! as he is now a young man. :)

• Like 4

Stirrups36 Bravo to you for giving something like this your time and thought. It sounds like a great idea but I understand that it would be utterly time consuming and a labour of love. I could see it being a brilliant extension of an established dance school offering dance to a wider range of pupils eg a state school with links to Elmhurst, Royal etc with an enhanced dance curriculum. The problem would still be that demand would outstrip places so how would one get in!!!

Ah Stirrups36 - what a big achievement to get as far as you did.  I understand completely how much time and effort this sort of thing must take though.  I like the idea of an all inclusive ballet school, but is it actually a requirement that it has to be non-selective?  After alll, the Brit school is selective isn't it?

well, with many thanks to Jay Jolley, we called it a 'school with dance' as opposed to a ballet or dance school.

The dance classes would build up from year 7 - as by law, Free Schools cannot be selective (It's also why it was boys only. My vision was for a school for boys that used dance, but we would not even have been able to use a 'quota' system - 50% boys/girls... unless of course, we were a boarding school and only had places for that percentage of each... now there's a thought...), so we would have to assume some would start having danced very little - and include dance appreciation, choreo and introductory technique. What most on here would think of as formal ballet lessons would start in year 8. By year 11, there would have been full ballet, contemporary and choreo classes. The RBS had designed a nice plan for this activity.

But of course, some would have ballet lessons in addition to CLASS. Those who were 'gifted and talented' (to slightly out of date terminology now) may be on associate schemes, or CATS at the weekend. The school was not meant to be an alternative to vocational school.

Rather it would use dance as a medium for ensuring all studies benefit. The motivation, discipline and such like that dance and in particular ballet classes offer, would permeate throughout all classes.

(Now I'm getting confused as to which tense to use, present or past)

Tim

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I was just wondering what are the dd's going to do that have been unable to accept their offer of places at vocational schools.

Are they going to look for private training then re-audition next year for schools that offer student loans?