Dialogues des Carmélites, Glyndebourne and Proms 2023

Emeralds

Anyone going/been to see this new production by Barrie Kosky of Poulenc’s opera? Kosky’s productions are often very unpredictable (eg Carmen cf Agrippina) but this has had good to glowing reviews. I think I might go to either Albert Hall or Glyndebourne- we haven’t finalised schedules yet. Curious to read feedback from anyone who has seen it. DDC is quite an emotional and harrowing story.

I was pretty shocked to hear on the radio this morning that the 'just stop oil' group chose to disrupt a Carmelites performance  at Glyndebourne yesterday.  Why Glyndebourne was the target mystifies me as it has it's own wind tubine, something that I would have thought would make it immune from their attentions.  Seeing that sporting events and even the Chelsea Flower show have suffered at the hands of these people, I suppose it is logical that theatre would be next.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/just-stop-oil-halt-opera-performance/

Edited by MAB
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I was pretty shocked to hear on the radio this morning that the 'just stop oil' group chose to disrupt a Carmelites performance  at Glyndebourne yesterday.  Why Glyndebourne was the target mystifies me as it has it's own wind tubine, something that I would have thought would make it immune from their attentions.  Seeing that sporting events and even the Chelsea Flower show have suffered at the hands of these people, I suppose it is logical that theatre would be next.

My thoughts entirely and I have been wondering for some time when a theatre would be targeted, and which, the ROH being a logical target given the former BP sponsorship. Didn’t something go on at the end of the 22-22 season, though? Placard-waving protesters banging cans that could be heard inside the public bits but, thankfully, not in the auditorium?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MAB said:

It didn't shock me at all.  These hypocrites are all about disrupting people. Try to engage them in the science, or ask them how they think their lives and clothes and high vis jackets are made and they have no answers.  I feel very sorry for the audience but most of all the musicians and performers and backstage people who have worked so hard to get the production onstage.  Thankfully they were able to continue after about 20 minutes.  

• Like 3