NBS summer school

BalletNewcomer

My DD is due to attend the 2 day summer school at NBS in July. Keen to hear views and experiences from those who have attended this in past years. There is no cost (though we are not local to Manchester so travel and accommodation costs) - how does it compare to other sumner schools, some of which can be ££?

Edited by BalletNewcomer

My son went last year (ahead of him starting there last September). He really enjoyed it - said it gave him a real flavour of the school and he was pleased to discover he knew some of the 1st years who were there from previous EYB shows etc. It's only 2 days so whilst they do give corrections etc. as you would expect, it's not the same intensive experience as you might get on say a 2 week course, but it gives you a sense on what it's like to have a full time dance timetable. They did lessons as they would be if attending the school, and they were taught by the school's regular teachers, so it was a great insight to what life at dance school is like. They also got to see the end of term show, which was fab. (We learnt an awful lot about which schools we liked from going to different school's end of term shows so that might be worth doing if you're considering where to audition!)  

For accommodation, Holiday Inn is VERY close and includes breakfast, although there's also a place call Wilde Apartments in St Peters Square, which is still close, and although the rooms are pretty snug, they have a more than adequate little kitchen in them so you don't have to eat out all the time. There are other similarly priced accommodations in the local area. 

In general, it's a super friendly school with a nurturing feel to it. Feel free to message if you have any questions! Xx

Hi. Can’t help on the SS as my DD was a full time pupil however I can offer some suggestions for accommodation. There’s the IBIS, Princess Street (nearly oppo NBS) and situated next  to a public car park if required. The Premier Inn at Portland place is at the end of Oxford Rd when heading towards St P Sq (Tram station). Whilst they serve breakfast which isn’t incl it’s actually more cost effective to eat at the Wetherspoons on the ground floor of the same building 

I wouldn’t recommend the Britannia Hotel near to the Premier Inn. 😉

For packed lunches you are slightly spoilt for choice where NBS is situated. From the usual supermarket express stores to takeout establishments.  
There’s also a little park to relax in away from all the traffic just past NBS on the right, it forms part of the Uni campus but accessible to all and opposite another little supermarket. 😎

Edited by balletbean