BRB Sleeping Beauty Dreams

DingDongDancer

I can't help, it's the first I've heard of this, but it all sounds like a worthwhile experience and I see there are some bursaries available to cover the costs.  £30 for the audition, dates in June and July, Birmingham Royal Ballet Studios

Weekend and weekday rehearsal sessions (schedule to be announced), commencing late August 2023
Performance: 25 February 2024
Cost: £720* (payable in instalments)

I'm assuming weekdays will be after school so I suspect you'd have to be reasonably local. Give them a ring?

Also looking at the photos, it seems all ages are welcome to apply, from eight to eighty and possibly up!

After three hugely successful previous Dreams productions, Birmingham Royal Ballet is delighted to announce the return of Sleeping Beauty Dreams during the 2023/24 season.

If you’re a dance student aged eight and above we’d love you to get involved. This is a fantastic opportunity for dancers young and old, and with varied levels of experience, to perform on the Birmingham Hippodrome stage alongside some of our world-class dancers.

Secure a place to join us from this summer for regular rehearsals and workshops, all culminating in the performance on 25 February 2024.

My daughter did Swan Lake Dreams with BRB in 2019/20 and it was a fabulous experience! I would say you need to live relative close to Birmingham as rehearsals were on weekdays as well as weekends - there were two other casts in other locations but I can’t comment on those. 

We were 2 hours away and managed to make it work with a very understanding school but  it was a huge commitment!

My daughter benefitted from it hugely though and we would do it again in a heartbeat! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SMabbutt said:

We are also looking at this. How many rehearsals were there? Is it at least 1 a week or does it vary and increase nearer the performance?

From memory, our experience was that it started with two day workshops and then went to weekly and ramped up closer to the performance. It was a fabulous experience but it was a large commitment! 

Out of interest, are the ‘Dreams’ cast just involved in the one performance & is that then SB with the regular pro dancers supplemented by ‘dreams’ dancers or is it a show cast instead just from ‘dream’ dancers?  

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear after the call back audition? I'm think that as we haven't heard anything yet she probably didn't get in, but it would be good to have some timeframe as I'm getting asked on an hourly basis.

Thanks. I can stop checking so much. The callback over ran and my dd didn't get the information about how long it would take so she's been fretting over it. It's a long shot for her anyway. There looked to be some beautiful dancers from watching them warm up and pirouette. Good luck to your dd.

Edited by SMabbutt
Incorrect spelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on the website:

“Thank you to everyone who signed up to take part in our auditions. We are currently making our final decisions about who be chosen to be part of the project. All those who auditioned will be contacted by email in the coming days.”

• Thanks 2

We weren't there at the end of the call back (were auditioning for specific adult parts) so did not get any info about when we would hear or anything like that. It's more than 2 weeks now so hopefully soon. Good luck to everyone. There were some lovely dancers in there. Not many boys though, sadly.

On 19/07/2023 at 12:58, Beanerina said:

We weren't there at the end of the call back (were auditioning for specific adult parts) so did not get any info about when we would hear or anything like that. It's more than 2 weeks now so hopefully soon. Good luck to everyone. There were some lovely dancers in there. Not many boys though, sadly.

There’s a lack of boys everywhere which is a shame. 

18 hours ago, Graceful said:

My DC got cavalier, waltz boy and Bluebird. They’re very happy about it! I don’t know the other boys. 

Oh I think I might have seen your DC. Anyway, all 3 DCs I saw were great. I got the part as well. I'm travelling from very far away - it involves a plane journey.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Beanerina said:

Oh I think I might have seen your DC. Anyway, all 3 DCs I saw were great. I got the part as well. I'm travelling from very far away - it involves a plane journey.

Oh wow! That is commitment! What role are you? Congratulations 

On 21/07/2023 at 22:06, Graceful said:

Oh wow! That is commitment! What role are you? Congratulations 

Just saw these messages. Apologies for the silence. They said that roles can change. But I have one of the main character roles. I won't need travel as much as everyone else so that's not so bad. I don't know yet which sessions I need to be there for. Congratulations to everyone who is in, and everyone who auditioned (and the dedicated parents of those being taxi). I happened to be nearby at an intensive so "popped over" for the first audition and got the shock of my life to be called back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beanerina said:

Just saw these messages. Apologies for the silence. They said that roles can change. But I have one of the main character roles. I won't need travel as much as everyone else so that's not so bad. I don't know yet which sessions I need to be there for. Congratulations to everyone who is in, and everyone who auditioned (and the dedicated parents of those being taxi). I happened to be nearby at an intensive so "popped over" for the first audition and got the shock of my life to be called back. 

Congratulations 🥳 

Congratulations to everyone who's got a part. I was offered a dancing role but have turned it down. The rehearsal schedule was intense and speaking to several adults at the audition who've done a previous production with BRB, there's lots of waiting around and no guarantee you get to do your dances each session - they had days where they didn't dance or spent ten minutes dancing. As amazing as it would be to dance on the Hippodrome stage, I don't have that much free time to waste. It is a far bigger commitment than I realised (signed up for the audition before they put the rehearsal dates out and said you could miss a maximum of two of them!).

Best of luck to all of you. I hope I can get tickets to see the final performance.