Good morning all

As many subscribers to this website know, I have a particularly soft spot for the Dutch National Ballet,   I was attracted to it originally by the recruitment of Michaela De Prince to the Junior Company. Over the years I have got to know other members of the company.

I had hoped to visit Amsterdam next month for Rachel Beaujean's new production of "Raymonda" but I injured myself in Powerhouse Ballet's "Waltz of the Flowers" intensive.  I underwent emergency surgery in Leeds General Infirmary 2 weeks ago.   While recuperating from the operation I contracted coronavirus which has prevented me from going anywhere,   I have had to miss Hannah Bateman's last show in Northern Ballet's "Casanova", Ballet Cymru's "Made in Wales", in Newport and Ballet Black at The Barbican as well as "Raymonda".

"Well" as the Sergeant-Major in "It ain't half hot Mum" used to say: "Oh Dear!", "How Sad!" "Never Mind!"   And the reason I  am not too sad is that HNB has just published its new programme which includes:

• "Celebrations" a mixed bill with works by Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Ted Brandson in September
  • Peter Wright's "Sleeping Beauty" between October and January
  • Another mixed bill in November with works by Balanchine, Van Manen and Aeques
  • A David Dawson double bill which includes a new ballet by Dawson to be called "Dawson" in December
  • A nationwide tour by the Junior Company
  • Rudi van Dantzig's "Swan Lake" between 11 May and 16 June
  • "Verdi's Requiem" in conjunction with the Dutch National Opera in February, and
  • "Dporian" a joint ballet/hip hop production based on the Oscar Wilde story by Ernst Meisner.

Anybody who wants more details including links will find them in "Terpsichore".

I am particularly looking forward to "Dawson" as I am a massive David Dawson fan.   Dawson's "Swan Lake" for the Scottish Ballet impressed me greatly.   I don't generally like reinterpreting my favourite ballets,  I have never really liked David Nixon's "Swan Lake" or Akram Khan's "Giselle" (though I respect the opinions of those who think otherwise.   I think Dawson got "Swan Lake" right, 

With best wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Balanchine ballet is the wonderful 'black and white' ballet, The Four Temperaments. Created in 1946 but still seems more modern than many contemporary works. A good triple as it includes a Van Manen piece.

There's also a Forsythe programme in June.

• Like 2

Get well soon Terpsichore! I loved Dawson's "Citizen nowhere" here in Berlin. I got to see Edo Wijnen as guest, which was a special treat.  But I had issues with "Voices".

The recently "Affairs of the heart" blew me away for its beauty.

Edited by Sabine0308