Home stay info

Tiaramum

Good evening all.

Just wondered if anyone could help me with this topic as it’s something I now need to look into for my own dd. Does a home stay family make sure the dancer gets on the right transport links or should a dancer know their own way round London? I struggle! Do I need to be giving my dd some street wise wisdom! I guess I’m asking is it just literally a bed for the night?! 

When I hosted i always helped. The child was like my adopted daughter/ son. The child was also included in our outings during free time, or had a choice to join and my only demand was to have dinner with us at the table. This has encouraged communication,  making her more welcome and as a part of the family.

The same was provided for my daughter when she stayed in NY. The family gave her travel tips,  often picked her up from station and was there when she needed.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

When I hosted i always helped. The child was like my adopted daughter/ son. The child was also included in our outings during free time, or had a choice to join and my only demand was to have dinner with us at the table. This has encouraged communication,  making her more welcome and as a part of the family.

The same was provided for my daughter when she stayed in NY. The family gave her travel tips,  often picked her up from station and was there when she needed.

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and that’s reassuring! That’s what I imagined it to be like but wasn’t sure. 

6 minutes ago, Tiaramum said:

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and that’s reassuring! That’s what I imagined it to be like but wasn’t sure. 

That was great to hear about the support offered. I would certainly do the same if I was a Homestay provider.
However from friends experience it does appear to be up to the individual home stay provider to decide how much inclusion & support within the household is offered, rather than a general acceptable standard across the board.  The 16yr old that we know of stayed with a family who had very young children. They were obviously welcomed into the home but besides their room with meals they were left to sort themselves out, incl the ‘commute’.  Probably as a result of the parents being busy with their own children through no one’s fault just one of those things. 
It would be wise therefore to double check the family dynamics incl any pets within the household (especially if not used to cats/dogs etc) of any Homestay provider you are considering. 

• Like 1

There should be an official contract. What is allowed and what not, what is offered and when payment needs to be made. 

My daughter left for overseas studies when she was 15 and we took a student to spare room in exchange.  

I cooked, washed and shopped as she would be our own daughter. She had her own space in the fridge for her own food and snacks. We would cook together and I did sometimes a school pick ups if the child finished late. Most of the conditions were agreed with the parents and then I offered help when I felt I need to step in. 

She had free use of the kitchen, washing machine ...but 90% of the kids ate with us. I did not charge for the meals as one plate extra is nothing for me. Breakfast was on their own to prepare. 

I wanted to know if she was running late etc. 

I even prepared lunch boxes for the younger ones. 

Weekends we played games, cinema nights and I allowed their ballet friends around but not sleep overs. 

Some needed guidance on personal hygiene and I even sewn a holes in the clothes. Quite interesting times we had. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1