Europa Ballet Austria

Topaz

This was Dds first audition in January 2020. I accompanied her. St Polten was the grimmest / deadest place I think I have ever been too. I was expecting Dementors to appear any minute 🤣 Seriously though, if this had been the only contract that Dd was offered she wouldn’t have gone. They crammed as many girls into the ‘studio’ as they could. The floor was like an ice rink and she was so relieved just to have survived the audition. Luckily she didn’t make it to the solo round. Check out their Instagram page, there is a reason that the theatre and studios aren’t shown on there. We met lots of U.K. students and parents there so others may be able to give you their experience. 
I think you need to find what your bottom line is and that was ours. What are your prepared to accept to dance. 

• Like 2

Just to add we did spend two nights there and got to have a good look around. Baring in mind this was pre Covid it was like they were already in a lockdown. The hotel was nice but only did breakfast, they didn’t tell us that til we got there. They couldn’t help us with where we could eat. We only found two restaurants that were open. Oh and of course the McDonalds at the train station. The highlight of our visit was C&A. Haven’t seen one of those since I was a child 🤣 I don’t recall seeing anyone under the age of 60 in the town apart from the auditionees. When the school asked how it went, we were completely honest and they were shocked as if no one had ever said anything like that before. I would just like to add that this was our personal experience and others may be polar opposite. It’s probably a completely different place in the summer. I think you have to check it out for yourself. Good luck x

• Like 2

I know of one dancer there who has been there since 2016. Her mum used to be active in this forum prior to auditions for vocational upper schools as our DDs know each other a little (from associates/workshops/auditions prior to 2012) but I don't believe either mum or daughter use this forum any more. As far as I am aware, the dancer has been very happy there - right from the start she seemed to get quite a few pas de deux opportunities, some beautiful productions not just in Austria but also touring and especially Canada. I see quite a few posts on facebook from the mum whenever she visits her daughter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Topaz said:

Thank you for the insights everyone cotes du Rhone do you remember what time the audition started and how long did it go for?

There were 110 on the first date and 190 on the second a week later. There are pictures of the audition still on their Instagram site. January 20th 2020. They all arrived first thing to be informed which group of three they were in. Dd went first so not alphabetical. Over 35 crammed into a very small studio. I recall the audition was under an hour. No pointe work. Flats were dangerous enough 😅 I sat with other parents and later auditionees in the theatre cafe. After each section they put up a list of numbers that they wanted to see do a solo in the afternoon. Probably about 5 from each group. There seemed to be no particular type of dancer they were looking for. The girls from Dds school and others ranged from approx 5ft 1 to 5ft 9. Lots of international dancers. Very random. We didn’t hear of anyone we knew being offered a contract that year. In hindsight we should / could have stayed in Vienna and commuted. It would have made the experience more enjoyable 😄 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2022 at 11:57, cotes du rhone ! said:

This was Dds first audition in January 2020. I accompanied her. St Polten was the grimmest / deadest place I think I have ever been too. I was expecting Dementors to appear any minute 🤣 Seriously though, if this had been the only contract that Dd was offered she wouldn’t have gone. They crammed as many girls into the ‘studio’ as they could. The floor was like an ice rink and she was so relieved just to have survived the audition. Luckily she didn’t make it to the solo round. Check out their Instagram page, there is a reason that the theatre and studios aren’t shown on there. We met lots of U.K. students and parents there so others may be able to give you their experience. 
I think you need to find what your bottom line is and that was ours. What are your prepared to accept to dance. 

I would consider asking some of the dancers who work there for first hand experience. St Polten is indeed quiet but also safe which some parents would consider far more important. Vienna, only a short journey away is amazing. That wasn’t what was been asked though and yes the company get to travel the world and dance in some amazing venues. 

On 06/03/2022 at 11:57, cotes du rhone ! said:

Check out their Instagram page, there is a reason that the theatre and studios aren’t shown on there

There are loads of pictures of the studios and the theatre on their Instagram page including the new outdoor theatre that was built for performances during covid. 

On 06/03/2022 at 11:03, Topaz said:

Hello everyone 

I am wondering if anyone has auditioned or has danced with or has any experience or knowledge of the Europa Ballet Company in Austria?

Good luck if you are auditioning this weekend. 

It might be worth asking some of the dancers about their experiences. I’m sure there are many niggles but also lots of positives too and the dancers have been fortunate to keep their jobs and training throughout the pandemic. 

• 1 year later...
On 06/03/2022 at 11:57, Lifeafterballet said:

An old thread but felt I should update it as I did read this and wasn't sure my DD should go for it.

I believe the company had hired a nice venue for auditions to accommodate more dancers and my daughter really enjoyed the audition.

She also said the town was nice, with lots of outdoor cafes etc.  They stayed in an Airbnb v near the centre. 

Haven't been there myself but she had quite a different experience.

7 hours ago, BalletChild said:

An old thread but felt I should update it as I did read this and wasn't sure my DD should go for it.

I believe the company had hired a nice venue for auditions to accommodate more dancers and my daughter really enjoyed the audition.

She also said the town was nice, with lots of outdoor cafes etc.  They stayed in an Airbnb v near the centre. 

I’m pleased your daughter had a good experience. 
Did she get to see the actual studios and theatre ? My daughter’s audition was held there and not at a hired venue. 
It was also January, so there were no outside cafes, or people really 🤣 

Perhaps the place livens up at different times of the year. The very best of luck to your daughter with her auditions ☺️

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BalletChild said:

DS went too and also thought the town was lovely. 

• Like 1