Pointe Shoes for Heavier Dancers

EverHopeful

Hi everyone, 

Since returning to class after lockdown I have been struggling a lot with pointe work - I was never brilliant at it but I used to be much better than I am now. Since I have put on a fair amount of weight over the last couple of years, do you think it might be worth trying my usual shoe with a stronger shank? 
I’ve googled this and there is a lot of mixed information - some say stronger feet need stronger shanks, some say stronger feet need less support and therefore softer shanks etc etc. 

It’s a bit of a minefield of information! Currently I feel like my best plan is to order a new pair of my usual shoes in the usual strength and also my usual shoe in the stronger shank so that I can work with both and see what helps? 
(obviously the main thing I need to do is work on my strength to get back to where I was pre-covid!). 
Any opinions/ideas/advice welcome. 

Others will have more knowledge, but my first concern is risk of injury, depending on how much weight gain/ loss of conditioning. Presumably your ballet teacher has given the green light to go ahead with pointe? 
With physical changes, it would be better to go and get fitted by a pointe shoe fitter, who will be able to advise re shank etc, as other changes (ie width fitting) may also be needed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Others will have more knowledge, but my first concern is risk of injury, depending on how much weight gain/ loss of conditioning. Presumably your ballet teacher has given the green light to go ahead with pointe? 
With physical changes, it would be better to go and get fitted by a pointe shoe fitter, who will be able to advise re shank etc, as other changes (ie width fitting) may also be needed.

Oh, yes of course. My teachers seem to believe in me more than I believe in myself at the moment! 
I think my loss in confidence maybe outweighs my loss of strength/ability. 

My daughter was going through a pair every 3 weeks which was becoming ridiculous.  Her ballet teacher says she has strong feet and the pointe shoes couldn’t cope and to try some hard shanks.  Bought Gaynor Mindens and they’ve lasted her nearly a year and only had to get a new pair as her feet have grown.  Well worth the money 

• Like 1