Royal Ballet School Audition

Entrechat

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet School Audition

It’s the same suggestions for RBS as for any ballet audition 

Leave more time than you think you’ll need for travelling etc

Pack two of everything including shoes ((just in case)

keep everything light hearted and fun and maybe combine the audition with something else that’s fun to do ( if you have time) That way your child will have positive memories of a day out with you whatever the outcome.

Make your hair neat ( doesn’t have to be glued up) and wear a lovely plain leotard ( no lace or crossed straps or fussy detail)  in a colour that suits your child. Most students like a fairly high leg cut leotard but comfyness is priority. No point in having a high cut leg if it rides up and you have to pull it down all the time! A matching hair ribbon and waistband is a good idea. 

Remember your water bottle and take plenty snacks.

Remember that talent and joy will shine through whatever you do!

And for parents, read everything you can both positive and negative about the school you are applying for and the career you are applying for so you are as informed as you can be, before the event.

Have a lovely day!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Blakey and welcome to the Forum!

I have moved your post to the more appropriate Doing Dance Forum and added some tags.

If you click on the tags it will take you to previous threads that may have information that will be of use to you.

Thanks so much, Jan!

16 minutes ago, valentina said:

It’s the same suggestions for RBS as for any ballet audition 

Leave more time than you think you’ll need for travelling etc

Pack two of everything including shoes ((just in case)

keep everything light hearted and fun and maybe combine the audition with something else that’s fun to do ( if you have time) That way your child will have positive memories of a day out with you whatever the outcome.

Make your hair neat ( doesn’t have to be glued up) and wear a lovely plain leotard ( no lace or crossed straps or fussy detail)  in a colour that suits your child. Most students like a fairly high leg cut leotard but comfyness is priority. No point in having a high cut leg if it rides up and you have to pull it down all the time! A matching hair ribbon and waistband is a good idea. 

Remember your water bottle and take plenty snacks.

Remember that talent and joy will shine through whatever you do!

And for parents, read everything you can both positive and negative about the school you are applying for and the career you are applying for so you are as informed as you can be, before the event.

Have a lovely day!

Wow, thanks a lot Valentina!! This is her first real audition, as she's been with Miami City Ballet since she was tiny. So, I appreciate all your tips. I'd like to get her a new leotard. Is there a certain brand that you like best?

I would recommend a Degas ‘Meryl’ type or a Wear Moi camisole ( spaghetti strap) type, ( no skirt)  But lots of parents on this forum will have other good ideas. As long as it’s completely plain then it’s good. It can have a low back, but not too low as you, ( or someone) will need to pin a number on the back and if it’s seriously low cut it becomes impossible.

• Like 4

Just to add, you don’t need to spend a whole lot on a leotard. I have seen swimsuits with straight straps in Asda that would do the job. But obviously, if you’re going to all the trouble of auditioning then you’ll want something that looks nice and fits well.

• Like 1

I'd say to make sure your daughter has a good perspective on the day. Most auditions for most dancers end in a no thanks, so treat the day as an experience in itself to enjoy and learn from. The result isn't everything. Most dancers love to perform, so let her enjoy performing for the people running the audition.

And remember that each school is looking for slightly different things so a 'No' may not be because the dancer is not good but instead may be because, for whatever reason, they're not the right fit for the school.

• Like 4