Osipova and Hallberg: Pure Dance. Sydney

Mum died on Sunday and I'm at the ballet on Tuesday. She would have approved but, particularly as it was Natalia Osipova's Pure Dance, with (be still my beating heart ), David Hallberg. The evening consisted of 6 individual works, starting with the main pdd from Antony Tudor's The Leaves are Fading. The program says the pdd explores 'reminiscence  of love and the bittersweet beauty of the passing of life'. That is not how I saw it. For me, it was a glorious celebration of love. Osipova was electric, Hallberg right there with her. Next up was Ivan Perez'  Flutter and we were suddenly in a different universe of movement. Osipova was partnered by Jonathon Goddard, but I really didn't like the piece, so cannot do either him or Osipova justice. This was followed by a moody solo from Hallberg, Absentia. Great. Hallberg seemed to withdraw into himself, silent and alone. He was 'partenered' by a huge shadow of himself, a shadow which he completely ignored, increasing the absence of the title.

After interval, Osipova danced Six Years Later (Roy Assaf) with Jason Kittelberger. Superb. We do not learn exactly what happened six years ago, but the dance was tender, forgiving, reaching out for the future. It was followed by Yuka Oishi's Ave Maria, which I found a little bland, in spite of Osipova's dancing. And then the finale, Alex  Ratmansky's Valse Triste. A triumph, Osipova and Hallberg together creating all the ups and downs of a relationship ... tender, passionate, furious ... overall a great conclusion to a wonderful evening. Which I needed. Thanks

Edited by jmb
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, jmb said:

Mum died on Sunday and I'm at the ballet on Tuesday. She would have approved but, particularly as it was Natalia Osipova's Pure Dance, with (be still my beating heart ), David Hallberg. The evening consisted of 6 individual works, starting with the main pdd from Antony Tudor's The Leaves are Fading. The program says the pdd explores 'reminiscence  of love and the bittersweet beauty of the passing of life'. That is not how I saw it. For me, it was a glorious celebration of love. Osipova was electric, Hallberg right there with her. Next up was Ivan Perez'  Flutter and we were suddenly in a different universe of movement. Osipova was partnered by Jonathon Goddard, but I really didn't like the piece, so cannot do either him or Osipova justice. This was followed by a moody solo from Hallberg, Absentia. Great. Hallberg seemed to withdraw into himself, silent and alone. He was 'partenered' by a huge shadow of himself, a shadow which he completely ignored, increasing the absence of the title.

After interval, Osipova danced Six Years Later (Roy Assaf) with Jason Kittelberger. Superb. We do not learn exactly what happened six years ago, but the dance was tender, forgiving, reaching out for the future. It was followed by Yuka Oishi's Ave Maria, which I found a little bland, in spite of Osipova's dancing. And then the finale, Alex  Ratmansky's Valse Triste. A triumph, Osipova and Hallberg together creating all the ups and downs of a relationship ... tender, passionate, furious ... overall a great conclusion to a wonderful evening. Which I needed. Thanks

We were there on Tuesday at the Sydney Opera House as well!  

I enjoyed Osipova's Ava Maria solo and the Ratmansky duet with Hallberg the most.  

We didn't love it all but that is to be expected with a selection of 6 individual works.  So very happy to have had this chance to see her & Hallberg, Goddard and Kittleberger.

Hopefully we can see Osipova in a classical ballet performance one day.

(I'm sorry for the loss of your mum, jmb)

What a wonderful tribute to your mother, jmb.  I'm sure she would have been proud. 

Also delighted that Ratmansky's Valse Triste has been moved to the climax of the programme.  It well deserves that positioning as it was for me - by some distance - the highlight of the Pure Dance assembly.  Certainly it garners brilliant gala fodder for Osipova to employ for some time to come.  Those handful of balletic minutes are vividly potent; a glory to behold. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1