Genée competition winners

Mia-Zanardo-300x200.jpgDarrion-Sellman-200x300.jpg

Genée International Ballet Competition 2019 medallists announced

The Royal Academy of Dance is pleased to announce the medallists of the prestigious Genée International Ballet Competition 2019, held at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto on 29 August.

After a week of intensive coaching from world-renowned teachers and choreographers, the competition final saw two coveted gold medals awarded to Mia Zanardo, aged 15 from Australia, trained by Hilary Kaplan and Archibald McKenzie, and Darrion Sellman, aged 15 from the USA, trained by Andrea Paris-Guiterrez and Jose Carayol. Silver medals were awarded to Paloma Hendry-Hodsdon, aged 17 from Australia and trained by Shirley Rogers; and Julian Wen-Sheng Gan aged 17, from Malaysia trained by Serena Tan Suet Leng. Jessica Templeton aged 16 from the UK, trained by faculty of Tring Park School was awarded a bronze medal. Julian Wen-Sheng Gan was also presented with the Margot Fonteyn Audience Choice Award and the Choreographic Award for best Dancer’s Own variation was awarded to Ashton Parker from South Africa, trained by Jonathan Barton.

• Like 5

Congrats to all!

I am surprised at the prize money and opportunities offered from this competition.  The lack of ...!

I couldn't find the details on this for 2019 but a few years ago it was $10,000 for a gold medal, $6,000 for silver and $4000 for bronze.  If more than one award is given in each category then the money is divided between them.

- This seems very little given the travel costs for candidates.  

Does anyone know what the current prize money is and any scholarships or other benefits to be gained?

- I also find local RAD competitions confusing, as they bring in judges who are not RAD examiners.  This seems a shame for the brand.  De-branding actually.

A panel of RAD examiners would be ideal as they have a shared and detailed understanding of what is valued by RAD in a dancer for each level. 

Edited by Ian Macmillan
Font Size

11 hours ago, DD Driver said:

Congrats to all!

I am surprised at the prize money and opportunities offered from this competition.  The lack of ...!

I couldn't find the details on this for 2019 but a few years ago it was $10,000 for a gold medal, $6,000 for silver and $4000 for bronze.  If more than one award is given in each category then the money is divided between them.

- This seems very little given the travel costs for candidates.  

Does anyone know what the current prize money is and any scholarships or other benefits to be gained?

- I also find local RAD competitions confusing, as they bring in judges who are not RAD examiners.  This seems a shame for the brand.  De-branding actually.

A panel of RAD examiners would be ideal as they have a shared and detailed understanding of what is valued by RAD in a dancer for each level. 

According to t he program booklet:

Gold: $8500 Cdn

Silver: $5000 Cdn

Bronze $3500 Cdn

"The  judges may decide to award more than one medal in any category. In this event, the prize money for that medal and the next category down will be pooled and distributed amongst the selected candidates at the discretion of the Judges and Genée artistic team.

I was surprised that Darcey Bussell was not in attendance, seeing as she's President of RAD. Surely this is the big event in the RAD's calendar.

Also surprised at how very few British dancers were in the competition: 4 out of 52.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toursenlair said:

I was surprised that Darcey Bussell was not in attendance, seeing as she's President of RAD. Surely this is the big event in the RAD's calendar..

I believe I saw an advert saying that she was spending a day with a cruise group around this time. “See St. Petersburg with Darcey Bussell” or something like that.

But I agree with you.

• Like 1