DVD recommendations

HowMuch!

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a ballet exercise dvd for my DD. She’s 9, Grade 3. She’s wanting something to guide her through strength, flexibility exercises, I was thinking a Pilates type dvd but wondered if anyone knew of any aimed at her age/level. I’m never quite sure of the suitability of youtube clips!

Thank you! X

Nine is quite young for doing Pilates exercises unless these are taught in an age appropriate class by a qualified instructor or have been prescribed by a Physio.  Strength and Flexibility exercises are usually taught at Associate classes where the children may be given exercises to do at home (supervised, of course).

The reason Youtube and other videos are not advisable for children is that without a qualified teacher/Physio being in the room and hands-on, it’s impossible to tell 1. whether the child is using the correct muscles in the correct way and 2. if they are doing exercises specifically for their body.

As an example, my dd used to join her classmates doing “stretching” and “warmup” before class until I found out what they were doing - sitting in “froggies” and other exercises designed to increase turnout and flexibility.  Dd is hypermobile and already *had* flat turnout so all the exercises were doing was to stretch already lax joints instead of *strengthening* the muscles and ligaments needed to *hold* turnout.  She needed completely different exercises to her stronger friends with less flexibility.  So you can see that self-prescribing is not really beneficial until you and her teachers/Dance Physio know exactly what needs working on and how to do this safely.

Is your dd an Associate? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Nine is quite young for doing Pilates exercises unless these are taught in an age appropriate class by a qualified instructor or have been prescribed by a Physio.  Strength and Flexibility exercises are usually taught at Associate classes where the children may be given exercises to do at home (supervised, of course).

The reason Youtube and other videos are not advisable for children is that without a qualified teacher/Physio being in the room and hands-on, it’s impossible to tell 1. whether the child is using the correct muscles in the correct way and 2. if they are doing exercises specifically for their body.

As an example, my dd used to join her classmates doing “stretching” and “warmup” before class until I found out what they were doing - sitting in “froggies” and other exercises designed to increase turnout and flexibility.  Dd is hypermobile and already *had* flat turnout so all the exercises were doing was to stretch already lax joints instead of *strengthening* the muscles and ligaments needed to *hold* turnout.  She needed completely different exercises to her stronger friends with less flexibility.  So you can see that self-prescribing is not really beneficial until you and her teachers/Dance Physio know exactly what needs working on and how to do this safely.

Is your dd an Associate? 

These were my thoughts too about her using YouTube. 

She’s in her ballet school’s ‘associate’ classes and has exercises from these but she’s quite forgetful. I’d hoped she could use a dvd for prompts. 

Not to worry, the summer is whizzing past so she can wait until she’s back in class in September. 

Xxx 

• Like 1

That sounds like a good idea.  There used to be a Pilates dvd for young dancers but that was for teenagers and up and dd still uses it when she’s home from uni.  

I would think at 9 that just keeping active with swimming and other non-dance activities would be absolutely fine.  ☺️  You could perhaps look at her doing a ballet summer school next year?