Moorland International Ballet Academy - Ballet Gala 2019

Jan McNulty

I was privileged to watch the Ballet Gala held at Burnley Mechanics Theatre last night (15th June).

The show was played to a packed house and was dedicated to the memory of Jack Millburn, an ex-pupil who died recently.  The evening started with a film of him dancing a solo from Balanchine's Who Cares?.  Simon Kidd has also organised Jack's Day of Dance for boys (it is free to attend) which is being held in Clitheroe on 27th July 2019.  Details are on the school's Facebook page.

The programme was jam-packed full of interest, including 2 pieces by Kenneth Tindall, choreographer in residence at Northern Ballet.  The second act consisted of the pas de 6 and tarantella from Napoli Act 3.

IMG_4252.thumb.JPG.1a7551724a5b7263b48ffeb155df775d.JPG

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening.  I will state here and now that I have never had a dance lesson in my life so have no technical expertise but I must say that the standard of the dancing looked excellent to me.  All the pupils were fully engaged and put themselves into the works.  I liked the fact that they brought out the drama inherent in some of the pieces.

The excerpt from Napoli is one of the most joyous things you can ever see on a stage and the pupils of Moorland did it full justice, ending the evening on a huge high.  

Jack's Day of Dance:

64206058_10219902582500024_4489667195843903488_n.thumb.jpg.8904270019b2e04cff31bea4dd2791a8.jpg

• Like 4

I also watched the show which was truly inspiring. The standard of dance from a relatively small (compared to the big 3) school was extremely high. The children's expressions and dance passion and sheer love of ballet was clearly visible. The teaching staff must be so proud of their students.

Anyone thinking of ballet training should certainly add this school to their audition list. 

• Like 2

I also attended what an inspirational evening! The children danced beautifully and their love of their craft was obvious as was the high esteem which they hold their teachers! I think this school will go from strength to strength after watching those fabulous performances. What a bunch of talented dancers. 

• Like 1

I so wish people would stop using the phrase ‘the big 3’ Or the ‘big 4’ in relation to vocational schools....

It is continuing a ‘class system’ which is not helpful for children, parents or any of the very many & varied vocational dance schools themselves. People may choose schools for a variety of reasons which could be geography, finance, peer groups etc..... it is a personal & individual thing for each family & let us all respect this. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I so wish people would stop using the phrase ‘the big 3’ Or the ‘big 4’ in relation to vocational schools....

It is continuing a ‘class system’ which is not helpful for children, parents or any of the very many & varied vocational dance schools themselves. People may choose schools for a variety of reasons which could be geography, finance, peer groups etc..... it is a personal & individual thing for each family & let us all respect this. 

Sorry Peanut68,

I was not saying for any other reason than, the standard of the dance was just as good as the top 3, given the school size and financial funds in comparison. Parents and children may overlook schools like Moorland as it is not as well known as the others. When we were looking at schools there were only 3 offered at the time, and it's positive that there are other schools that can produce such high standards, which is brilliant to see. I do agree with you and would love to see less on the big 3 and more on other schools in the future, unfortunately in life there are always bench marks to achieve and be compared to...

Sounds like we are of a similar mindset FredF! As so many on this forum say ‘there are many roads to Rome’ so hats off to all the DC, parents, teachers & schools (& funders be it the government or others...!) that take on this journey however, wherever! 👍🏻