Floundering ballet mum!

HowMuch!

31 minutes ago, valentina said:

You definitely have a point regarding the ‘ free work ‘ that is part of ISTD. It is a bonus to practice, week in, week out, picking up steps on the spot especially for building confidence in an audition etc. However,  the most important element in your Dds classes is the QUALITY of teaching. You can do 3 classes a week or just 1, but if that 1 has wonderful teaching then it wins every time especially at such a young age when building slow and careful technique is so important. That could be ISTD or RAD or any other society. My own Dd was grade 2 ( and very behind !)when she successfully auditioned for RBS mids having one class a week. Her teacher was very good though, slow and thorough. You know your own child best though and if she’s ready for more, why not?

After a big chat tonight, it’s looking likely that she’ll be staying put for the moment. I’d be interested to see what she’s make of an ISTD class though but maybe that’s for another time.  

Some schools do both RAD and ISTD as they compliment one another really nicely. I don’t know if you are lucky enough to live near one of those. Otherwise complimenting her usual classes with ‘ day of dance’ type workshops will help with free work.

On 20/04/2019 at 17:53, HowMuch! said:

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to write this without sounding like a pushy ballet mum but can’t 😂

My DD got a no for Northern Ballet JAs. She got to the finals which was great but the ‘no’ left me wondering a few things which i’m hoping you lovely experts can answer! 😁

Which RAD grade would you expect a Year 4 child to be in? (Or perhaps Year 5 as i’ll be exploring things for Sept)

How many classes per week should they be doing to make good progress?

I’ve had a search for these answers but i’m confused! 

Any advice? XXX 

Having been entrenched in the local dance scene for more years that I care to remember I have learnt so much. 

Not one child locally (due to our geographical location) has ever been a JA. However we have a very long list of children that have secured places at all the big named vocational schools not just US but also LS and MT colleges over the years. Only within the last 4yrs have pupils started applying and obtaining places for the mainland top SS’s. As long as you can source well established and qualified teaching within your local district the lack of JA place should not impact on any future plans and ambitions. Whilst acknowledging the level of training available through the JA programme it’s not a deal breaker if not successful to succeed later on. 

Good Luck and best wishes. 

Ps. I should have added. That nearly all the successful applicants came from just one dance school. The oldest dance school in our area in the oldest building you can imagine but loved by all past and present pupils. 

Edited by balletbean