RAD summer school

PetitJeté

I was just wondering if anyone’s child has done the RAD summer school before (and done the residential)? We’ve been offered a cancellation for my daughter, who’s just turned 9, and has just taken her grade 2 RAD. It’s a lot of money, but I think she would enjoy it (she was keen when we looked before, then found it was fully booked), but my only concern is that 9 is quite young for the residential aspect, but on the other hand, I can see they would get most of out of it socially by staying. Would appreciate any experience anyone may have on this. 

Our just-eleven year old boy did it last year and enjoyed it immensely. They’re looked after pretty closely. First thing he said when he came out was “can I go for two weeks next year?”

Depends on the child of course: I’m not sure we’d have sent him the year before, but purely because of his personality and emotional development. 

Yes - you know your own kid the best and would know if she's  ready.  A week is a long time for a nine year old.  They do spend a lot of time travelling in the chaperoned buses going backwards and forwards from the residency to Headquarters.  If you can be available, it probably wouldn't be a great deal more expensive for you to stay in a hotel or rental apartment for the six nights together with her. Take her to a show suitable for her age, visit places with her that you know she'll enjoy.  And you can shop till you drop!  Or visit museums whilst she's dancing!

Edited by Dance*is*life

My wife took the week in London while he was in residential as a holiday so she’d be nearby if there was a problem: we really weren’t 100% sure how he’d deal with it. (She spent the week wandering around museums and ballet classes and apparently is doing the same thing this year even though there’s clearly no need at all …) (The Battersea TravelLodge is cheap and nearby.)

Thanks very much for the replies. We could commute daily from where we live, but it would be a very early start for her each day. From these replies, I’m leaning towards thinking she’s a bit young. She’s a JA, and next year we can apply for the RB summer school, although I realise it will be competitive to get in, so perhaps we could look at this for next year as another option. 

My dd did it two years running and absolutely loved it! First when she was  8 and then again at 9.  We live locally so she wasn’t residential but she really wanted to be! If it’s the same format, they take them to a west end show one night and have a disco at Roehampton university on another night and you can attend these even if you aren’t residential. I took my dd and they all did seem closely chaperoned. She loved all the different styles of dance they do each day and the teachers. It’s very well- organised. 

My Dd loved it when she did it a couple of years ago. She wasn’t residential but out of all the summer schools she’s done, it was probably the friendliest and most organised and the teaching was excellent . She still keeps in touch with girls from all over the world.

If you're close enough, and you think you might be being over-cautious - you could send her residential and rescue her on the off chance she can't handle it. That was certainly our strategy last year. 

It's a question of how sure are you? We were pretty sure, but not sure enough to not have a contingency in case he couldn't handle it. It was a great experience for him though. Early in the week he was sending us messages in the evening, by the end he didn't bother …