Vocational school open days

taxi4ballet

I would agree that the pastoral care is by far and away the most important part of the boarding element of any school, vocational or academic. It is unrealistic to think that the school will allow 500+ people to trot through the boarding accomodation of the students already at the school. This is an invasion of privacy on the part of those students. Also when we choose a school - secondary for instance - if its state we go to the open days, and put down OUR first choice - if its private we go to the open days make OUR choice prep our kids for CE and all is well. For vocational school, there will be very few children who will get to choose under 16 - vocational schools are choosing your child, not the other way around. At first audition it is not necessary to be invading the privacy of the students already at the school to show all parents around as the vast majority will not be asked back. Its more realistic to hope you might get a tour at the final audition but not to be assumed. We live in a world now where everything is about how lovely everything looks - not about the reality of what goes on within :)

• Like 5

Would you send your child to a school where you had not looked inside a classroom and barely met an academic teacher? We did – and I still find it hard to believe!

PippinPointe’s comment that a vocational school is choosing your child, not the other way round, rings a lot of bells. It can be hard to remember that you have a choice, too.

If you only get to look round the school at the time your child has got to final audition, it’s very hard to keep a cool head atnd assess it like any other school. Your child’s enthusiasm and your pride in their achievement takes over and can cloud your judgement!

Most people are making great sacrifices for their children to go to the schools – not least having them live away from home – and for nearly everyone, MDS or no, this is a more expensive option than any other school. You will be paying for your child’s experience there in some way, so you are the consumer, and you are making the choice, not the school.

Edited by ElllieP
  • Like 4

I thought this topic was about open days ???, however I would like to say that I went to Bush Davies many years ago. The boarding accommodation was archaic to say the least. We had to do all our own laundry from the age of 11, had no weekend activities laid on and the house mistress/matron was unkind, unfriendly and unapproachable, however we formed friendships that are still going strong 25 years later. We bare no scars ( or very little) and the training ( which I'm sure is what you should all be most interested in ) was second to none - well perhaps second to RB !!! Many of us went on to have extremely successful careers and be fulfilled in life, so please don't let accommodation put you off. Children are extremely adaptable and its good for them to share their rooms and perhaps have less space than they are used to at home and don't forget they have a fantastic time together. Lets face it, if they are going to have a career in the ballet world they are going to be in worse places than these at the beginning !!!

Edited by margot

I thought this topic was about open days ???, however I would like to say that I went to Bush Davies many years ago. The boarding accommodation was archaic to say the least. We had to do all our own laundry from the age of 11, had no weekend activities laid on and the house mistress/matron was unkind, unfriendly and unapproachable, however we formed friendships that are still going strong 25 years later. We bare no scars ( or very little) and the training ( which I'm sure is what you should all be most interested in ) was second to none - well perhaps second to RB !!! Many of us went on to have extremely successful careers and be fulfilled in life, so please don't let accommodation put you off. Children are extremely adaptable and its good for them to share their rooms and perhaps have less space than they are used to at home and don't forget they have a fantastic time together. Lets face it, if they are going to have a career in the ballet world they are going to be in worse places than these at the beginning !!!

Absolutely. I'm very glad my mother didn't see one or two of the places I lived in as a professional dancer but wow, I sure had a good time!

Back to open days. I do hope that this thread will help those who are attending ask the questions relevant to them. That way they will get a feel for whats right for them. My ds, at 16 did have a choice and chose the place that best suited him at the time. He focussed on training first, accomodation second being aware that young dancers generally only get one chance to get the training that suits them whereas hopefully he can be more picky about where he lives in the future.

But for 11 year olds it is different and yes , whilst I agree that they are going through a selection process I would caution against going somewhere if they are not absolutely sure,especially if its the only choice they've ended up with. So do ask questions, ask to meet staff, parents and pupils alike. And get your dcs to do the same. My ds on talking to a Tring student (this is 8 years or so ago) was told in no uncertain terms that WL was awful because it only did Ballet! Result? ds chose WL!

Incidently when he got the place I refused to accept it until I'd been given a proper look around and insisted on talking to the students. I really didn't care that it was the Royal Ballet School, there was no point in allowing my ds to go if I felt the atmosphere was wrong and I personally couldn't gauge this on audition day when all the current students were off site leaving what was then a disappointingly shabby shell. A school isn't a school without its students!

I stress this was years ago, WL looks fabulous now!

• Like 4

EllieP, I agree that as parents we get a choice and if we find out as much as possible about a school prior to applying we make a choice about where we apply. The reality is with vocational schools that we get a choice once our child has been chosen. I was more concerned about all and sundry marching through the dorms of these young students - this is after all their private space. Would we think it ok to have 500+ people passing through our bedrooms in our own homes each year? Speak to students and staff, they are always readily available, in my experience, at audition days where a tour is given showing many aspects of each school, along with this on open days. Whilst the children are in term time there should be some element of respect for their space and I'm sure for many whose children are at, or have been at these schools they would like to think their children are afforded some of this. There are lots of ways to have questions answered without having to see where they could possibly be sleeping if they make it through the rigors of the audition process. If your child is fortunate enough to be offered a place, go there have a further look ask more questions be sure it is a choice you wish to make. You have a smalll amount of time between offer and having to accept use it to clarify anything that you are uncertain of at that point. The schools are much more user friendly these days than ever before

• Like 2

For me the pastoral care is indeed one of the most important factors, and I dont just mean the boarding parents, I also mean how caring are the teachers. Under 16s are at a very vulnerable age and being away from home is difficult. I dont agree with well they have to face up to the harshness of the ballet world when they are older, so they might as well prepare now. I think youngsters should be nurtured and made to feel confident so they can go into the outside world when ready as strong young adults. For me the accomodation must be warm and clean and the children must have good meals prepared for them. The training and education must be of a very good standard and should be part of the whole package.

I agree that parents should only be shown around the school as part of the final audition. It is up to the schools to keep disruption to current students to a minimum. Considering the amount of auditions that take place throughout the year at these schools it must cause enough disruption already.

I think talking to current students and parents at the schools and also on forums like this can give you a snapshot about what the school is like. It is then up to you what you want to do with the information given.

• Like 8

I would also like to make people aware that Laines each year has an audition insight day for potential students and it used to be free. Most people think that this is a musical theatre school only, however its also for dance training and I have to say its dance is one of the hightest of standards I have seen. Many of the Royal Ballet Students have chosen to go to this school as the training is so high. I am giving a very impartial view of this school as my dd does not attend here but was offered a full scolarship. She chose the Bolshoi instead, but had selected it over the other schools with dadas that were offered. Keeping on track, parents get given a full visit around the school and also a very frank and honest talk with the principle (one of the most upfront and honest talks I witnessed from all the schools).

• Like 2