Cathy Marston/Les Grands Ballets Canadiens - Lady Chatterley's Lover

There will be a World Premiere tonight in Montreal, when Les Grands Ballets Canadiens give the first performance of Cathy Marston's full-evening version of D H Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover.  It's a story that should lend itself well to being developed around a number of Cathy's powerful pas de deux and I've heard from my sister, who attended an Open Rehearsal the other day, that something of the sort is very much on the cards.  (Principals for two casts were taken through their paces by Cathy and her longtime associate Jenny Tattersall, and there was also a session with the cast as a whole.)

I'm conscious that we don't hear much from Montreal on the Forum, but am hopeful that we might see some reactions to this new work.  But for now, a taster from Cathy, and a rerun of a Montreal Gazette piece that appeared recently in Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3RuQWK-R8

https://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/local-arts/dance-sex-death-and-gamekeepers-as-lady-chatterley-and-giselle-ignite-the-stage

• Like 8

I love Cathy Marston's ballets - she is one of our greatest present day choreographer's. I'm sure Lady Chatterley will be another success for her and hopefully we will get to see it over here one day. I look forward to reading the reviews.

• Like 3

Cathy's a busy woman. In a month she will be premiering a new one-act ballet based on The Tempest at the international ballet festival in Havana (with the main character becoming Prospera) as well as the new full length work on Victoria for Northern Ballet next spring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Cathy's a busy woman. In a month she will be premiering a new one-act ballet based on The Tempest at the international ballet festival in Havana (with the main character becoming Prospera) as well as the new full length work on Victoria for Northern Ballet next spring.

No wonder her ballets are amazing. I hope K o'H has her booked to create a future work for the company. Imagine the narrative ballet she could create on the talented youngsters. I would love to see the Royal perform a dramatic, narrative ballet by Marston than another 'modern' ballet from MacGregor.

• Like 3