ISTD junior ballet award

sunrise81

Hi

Has anyone elses DC done thus before. My DD has been asked and she wanted to so we are. She is learning a dance for it, but what else should she expect to happen. Want to prepare her as this is her first competition as her dance school doesn't enter festivals so never been in this situation before. 

My dd has done this a couple of times. There were lots and lots of them on stage all at once in roatating lines doing combinations that they were taught. They also did their set piece a line at a time. At the end, when all the groups had danced, some numbers were called out for finals. 

We got a couple of nice photos but overall it wasn't one of the things my dd wanted to do again. 

We found that there were some much older girls who were dancing in the same grade as some of the younger ones. 

It's an experience for them and I hope your dd enjoys it.

we know a few who have done it, my daughter has always had over 90 in her exams so I wondered if she might like to but she said it sounded boring! she likes festivals because she does HER dance and everyone does different stuff. As I understand it in the ballet awards they all do some of the exercises from their last exam and then they all do the same dance (tedious to watch was what one parent told me) from the exam. Obviously some of them will have done that dance for the exam whilst others may have done one of the other dances on the list so have had to learn it specifically for the awards.  There is an age limit on it so for grade 1 they have to have been 9 or under on 1st September, grade 2 10 and under so the others shouldn't be too much older but many apparently delay taking the next exam so that they can compete in it and are actually working a long way above the grade.  I am sure it will be a nice experience for your daughter, she will get to meet lots of girls with a shared passion, get to see how everyone else does things, no doubt they pick up on little things they could add to their own performance and they all get a certificate for taking part I think.