Is aged 16 too old?

Andrea

My daughter has missed 2 years of dance due to an operation. She has just left school at 16. She is currently attending Elizabeth Hill school of dance doing RAD ballet at grade 5. Her ambition is too audition for the northern ballet but is she too old now and only being at grade 5? Her lifelong dream is to be a ballet dancer and it was unfortunate she had to miss 2 years of ballet. Any advice would be appreciated 

• Like 1

Do you mean she wants to audition for Northern Ballet School or the Company itself? 

She would have two to three years if wanting to audition for the Company itself .....so she will have to really work hard in that time but she does have a lot to catch up unfortunately and especially if she is not in full time training in those years.

It is a tall order for her but not absolutely impossible if she is talented ....and that of course I don't know!! 

I was at the Yorkshire Ballet summer school recently and saw a young lady who was holding her own in a class where most of the other dancers were more highly qualified. She had that little something .....and may have a chance I think.....but nevertheless is still a little younger than your DD ( at 15) so has that much more time.

Your DD will have to be tough as there will be a lot of competition so she may get discouraged but on the other hand when someone gets very determined and really loves what they are doing anything could happen!! 

• Like 1

Hi - some schools will accept onto a BA at 18 years including Rambert and Ballet West. So definitely don't give up, but be prepared to look at a range of schools.

Your daughter must have had a very serious health problem or a very serious accident to have needed an operation which had a recovery period of two years. The first thing that I would consider is whether your daughter has been left with any physical weaknesses or limitations which would preclude a demanding career as a professional ballet dancer. Your daughter has obviously lost a lot of time and even at 14 RAD Grade 5 is not a particularly high level for an aspiring ballet dancer. It's not just a question of technical level but the training of the whole body for ballet. I agree with Lin that the odds are stacked against your daughter. However, if she has a perfect ballet body, good clean technique at the level she is working at and a certain something that a school is looking for then there is a small possibility that a school would take her.

It is unwise for your daughter to set her heart on a particular school or company. The competition for places in schools and companies is fierce. 

• Like 4

Yes I was thinking that too Aileen to be so specific about a particular company.....one needs to be nearer that point before really deciding on a company but I suppose everyone does have their favourites.

But one has to remember that for every girl who "dreams" say of dancing for the Royal Ballet or whatever ....and that must run into thousands ....only ever a few ever achieve this dream. 

Anyway one one step at a time ....so Grade six/ seven or Intermediate next and then see how long that takes to accomplish before making the next decision.

Have you spoken to her teachers about her ambitions? Elizabeth Hill is a very reputable school with a good track record of  former students going on to dance professionally. I'm sure you would get an honest and accurate assessment of what doors may still be open to your DD from the staff there.

As the others have said,it sounds like your DD is somewhat behind her peers already in full time training or those aspiring to start upper schools next year. There's no denying that will make things hard for her but it doesn't mean that some kind of career in the dance world is out of the question. But she needs to be open to alternatives as even those who may seem to have everything in their favour are not guaranteed success and need to consider multiple options.

• Like 2