Mariinsky - Swan Lake - recommendations?

In advance of the Marinsky arriving, would be interested to hear people's views of which ballerina has, in the past, best captured Swan Lake.  Have been looking at Zakharova on Youtube, also Makhalina and Lopatinka.  I have a ticket for Osmolkina, based on advice gleaned on here but might go to one other.  Would you advise Skorik or Kondaurova?

Skorik has been out for a while now with an injury. Even if she is back by later this summer she might not be 100% . I have enjoyed her performances more than many fans I read online, but I would recommend Kondaurova too. Moreover, Kondaurova is very different from Osmolkina--it might make for an interesting contrast.

Regarding ballerinas generally in Swan Lake (that is, those I have actually seen in the theater): Lopatkina is my ideal especially as Odette; seeing her in Swan Lake was one of the most inspiring events of my life. But way back when, I also adored Semenyaka--a very exciting Odile--and Makarova. I realize there is a pattern here...I guess, thinking it over, my favorite non-Vaganova trained, non-Russian Swan was probably Guillem. As it happens, I had a near miss with Fonteyn when my mother took all my siblings to the Hollywood Bowl to see her (and Nureyev) in Swan Lake, but sent my pre-school aged self off to go bowling or some such with my father. You will say I couldn't possibly have appreciated or, later, remembered a performance I saw that young anyway. Perhaps not, but a year later I was taken to my first ballet and was completely swept away! 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2017 at 06:38, DrewCo said:

Skorik has been out for a while now with an injury. Even if she is back by later this summer she might not be 100% . I have enjoyed her performances more than many fans I read online, but I would recommend Kondaurova too. Moreover, Kondaurova is very different from Osmolkina--it might make for an interesting contrast.

Regarding ballerinas generally in Swan Lake (that is, those I have actually seen in the theater): Lopatkina is my ideal especially as Odette; seeing her in Swan Lake was one of the most inspiring events of my life. But way back when, I also adored Semenyaka--a very exciting Odile--and Makarova. I realize there is a pattern here...I guess, thinking it over, my favorite non-Vaganova trained, non-Russian Swan was probably Guillem. As it happens, I had a near miss with Fonteyn when my mother took all my siblings to the Hollywood Bowl to see her (and Nureyev) in Swan Lake, but sent my pre-school aged self off to go bowling or some such with my father. You will say I couldn't possibly have appreciated or, later, remembered a performance I saw that young anyway. Perhaps not, but a year later I was taken to my first ballet and was completely swept away! 

Could you contrast Kondaurova and Osmokina for me?

I

14 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Could you contrast Kondaurova and Osmokina for me?

I would say Kondaurova has a much more obviouslly striking presence. She is even rather majestic. If the word didn't have a bad connotation, then I would say she is more of a 'diva' type. Her striking appearance (tall, red hair, gorgeous) adds to the effect. She has substantial gifts as an actress too. Osmolkina when I have seen her--and supplementing from video--seems more of a pure classicist, more of what I think of as a 'Kirov' style dancer (a style I like very much). Kondaurova skeptics sometimes say they prefer her in contemporary works; I'll venture a guess that no one has ever said that of Osmolkina.

One caveat: I love the Mariinsky, but I don't have the deep and extensive experience with them that others, including others on this site, do.  But these are my impressions. I'm looking forward to reading yours! 

• Like 3

On 01/07/2017 at 09:24, DrewCo said:

I

I would say Kondaurova has a much more obviouslly striking presence. She is even rather majestic. If the word didn't have a bad connotation, then I would say she is more of a 'diva' type. Her striking appearance (tall, red hair, gorgeous) adds to the effect. She has substantial gifts as an actress too. Osmolkina when I have seen her--and supplementing from video--seems more of a pure classicist, more of what I think of as a 'Kirov' style dancer (a style I like very much). Kondaurova skeptics sometimes say they prefer her in contemporary works; I'll venture a guess that no one has ever said that of Osmolkina.

One caveat: I love the Mariinsky, but I don't have the deep and extensive experience with them that others, including others on this site, do.  But these are my impressions. I'm looking forward to reading yours! 

On 01/07/2017 at 09:24, DrewCo said:

I

Okay, will do - but you set the bar high!