Exeunt review of Royal Ballet's Mayerling

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Seeing as the publication responsible will not engage with posters here that have questioned their integrity regards on line attacks on audience members and outrageous ageism, perhaps we should confront the lady herself.  If I spot this person in the audience myself, I won't hesitate to demand she explains herself.  Her photo is here:  http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/about/meet-the-team 

A few years ago the ROH withdrew complimentary tickets from a number of opera writers for a lot less than this, I'm starting to feel uneasy about their priorities if writers of critical reviews are banned whereas writers insulting audience members are tolerated.

As much as I agree with the criticism of the author's writing style, gratuitous ageism, and misrepresentation of ROH audiences, I can't agree with confronting the author IRL (or posting her photo). Surely better to display more grace and professionalism than the magazine has done, and complain in writing?  I can't see that harrassing someone during the interval is to be encouraged.

• Like 2

I was similarly disappointed to read the review. However as a friend of mine says the problem with blogs is that anyone with one can write and be published. Regrettably, despite her Oxon credentials, Ms Winter's writing is not of the kind I wish to read. I have fixed this by never wanting to read anything she writes again. I suggest this is a better approach than remonstrating with her in person as has been suggested.

I fully understand the view of those who wonder why she has complimentary tickets. I feel much the same. Her attitude may be more suitable to "edgy" publications but as above, I'll not read her. Simple. 

• Like 7