Exercises for back

Mummy twinkle toes

If a vocational school is giving this feedback, surely they will also advise your daughter on the best exercises for her to improve? At 12 it might perhaps be a growth or hormonal issue causing a temporary tightness?

If the school hasn't advised then I would ask them to help.

• Like 2

She probably needs to see a dance physio, they will be able to check her placement and that she is engaging the right muscles. They can also make sure there isn't any underlying reason or minor injury.

Agree with Legseleven - might be due to a growth spurt.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Thanks both. There is no physical issue. She is just not flexible in her back and it was in her assessment as a concern. I have told her normal teacher and will tell the associate teacher. I just wondered if there were exercises that could help. I know several for other issues but cannot think of any for the back specifically.

I would still be inclined to see a physio if you can. My DD had a similar comment at assessments and the doctor said there was nothing physically wrong but agreed to refer her on the basis of what the vocational school had  told us. The physio did some specific exercises for her back with her for a few weeks, making sure she was doing them all correctly.  It did help 'loosen' her spine and improve her range of flexibility in her back and after the initial 'treatment' she has a set of 'maintenance' exercises which she does daily.

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 3