I went to some performances there last month and you can wear what you like, but I'm told you must dress up for first performances of new productions.  The guy next to me was wearing jeans and tee shirt, but I saw evening dress too.  At this time of year I'd recommend a jumper though.

• Like 3

I went to some performances there last month and you can wear what you like, but I'm told you must dress up for first performances of new productions.  The guy next to me was wearing jeans and tee shirt, but I saw evening dress too.  At this time of year I'd recommend a jumper though.

Dear Toursenlair, 

I have never seen any person with jeans and a T Shirt at the ballet in Zürich, unless they were a dancer in the company. The general rule is dark suit for men, no tie needed. For women, smart dress is fine whatever you consider it to be. The audience in the parkett is between billionaires and rich students, but there is rarely any ostentatious dress. I would say that the if you feel comfortable then thats the most important, as long as it not jeans or a t shirt. In general,  the more classic, and more conservative, the better. Just remember its a banking city and most people will be wearing what they wear to work in midweek shows.

Take good note of the sight lines at the opera house. If it is mild weather, take a wrap, and go to the first loge level to the Spiegelsaal to walk out onto the balcony facing the city, it is a great view.

Also, the crowd is very dependent upon the show, a triple-bill is generally more hip-casual, the one classical show Swan Lake is more conservative.

Are you going for Quintett or Swan Lake?

EDIT I Would not wear a jumper, as the 'cosy' theatre gets very warm. be prepared to check in anything that you wouldn't normally wear inside.

I have a few tips, so if you have any questions please let me know .

Stephan

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

Thanks, SBF, I'm going to Swan Lake.

I have another question, about the house program. I'm presuming it has to be bought, as in Europe generally. But can one get just a cast list? Is the program entirely, or mostly, in German, or is there enough English for it to be worth a unilingual English speaker's while?

I'd love to hear any other tips you have.

Thanks, SBF, I'm going to Swan Lake.

I have another question, about the house program. I'm presuming it has to be bought, as in Europe generally. But can one get just a cast list? Is the program entirely, or mostly, in German, or is there enough English for it to be worth a unilingual English speaker's while?

I'd love to hear any other tips you have.

The cast lists can be bought separately for I think 1 or 2chfs, the programmes are about 8chf, and they have some lovely photos usually, but it is only in german (not like the tomb of languages at La Scala). I wouldn't recommend it for English Speakers apart from the photos.

45 minutes before each performance there is a presentation about the performance in German. For Swan Lake it is very interesting as it was created in Zürich, and the history research and the work with Alexei Ratmansky. 

Drinks queues can be quite lengthy in the pause, but you can preorder drinks before the performance at the desk where you buy programmes. I would make sure to check out the view from the balcony though, also that is where some smokers go.

The opera house also has tours through the backstage departments which may be interesting for you and you can book online.

I have seen from your posts that Alex Jones is a particular favourite of yours, I would contact him maybe via twitter/facebook etc, he is very personable, so I would think there could be a chance he would come by and say hello afterwards if he is dancing, or even give you a tour. (I am not promising on his behalf, he is just a very generous and kind person) Although casting is not known yet, and will probably not be announced until a week before the performances. 

The stage door is behind the operahouse, you can drop off any chocolates or flowers with a card here before the performance, and after the performance and if you smile at the receptionist they could let you wait in the warmth inside to meet the cast as they leave.

The performances always begin very promptly.

I would suggest that if you are going with a group for your tour I would contact the opera house administration and ask if you could have a special tour or presentation in English if needed. They are a very open and friendly opera house, if they have capacity.

There is a very good vegetarian buffet restaurant behind the opera house called titbits, which has very nice food even for meat eaters, and is flexible for a quick bite before the show.

If you have any specific questions then please feel free to ask.

S

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

And efficient too, tags added ;)

That's interesting - I didn't realise anyone else but Mods could add tags once a thread was started.  Makes my life a bit easier :)

Oh, and sorry, toursenlair, I didn't realise you'd pretty much mentioned it in the first post.

Thanks.

Hi Katherine,

if you go to Services on the Zurich Opera website, they have advice about the Dress Code (there's none - dress like at Stuttgart, Zurich has a very mixed audience. And I've seen people in jeans, in the cheaper seats ^_^ ). There's also advice about the programme booklets: "If required, synopses in English and French are available from the Box Office." The cast list was 3 Swiss Franken, the programme is 9 Franken when I visited last, everything completely in German, also the biographies. The Swan Lake booklet has many pictures - stage, historical, costume designs and Stepanov notations, and it has a list of the music they used.

Prepare for high prices in Switzerland, compared to the Euro it is very expensive now. 5 Franken for a coffee/espresso is not ununsual. There's also a small restaurant/café in the theatre, right next to the box office, and a bar downstairs.

Prepare for high prices in Switzerland, compared to the Euro it is very expensive now. 5 Franken for a coffee/espresso is not ununsual. There's also a small restaurant/café in the theatre, right next to the box office, and a bar downstairs.

The prices are 7-8chf for a glass of wine, 7 for a beer, and 15chf for a glass of champagne in the Operahouse bars.

I love you swiss ballet fan! will you marry me?

Ha ha SM, I am very happily married already, but thank you :)

Also it is may be important to note that Viktorina Kapitonova who created the role is expecting her first child, so will most likely not be dancing many, if any peformances.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the extra info, Angela and SBF.

I started planning this trip back in the fall and had to take a few deep breaths when I started looking at Swiss prices! in fact I took two days off the Zurich portion of the trip because otherwise it was going to be prohibitively expensive.

But actually those drinks prices are what we pay at the opera house in Toronto too (if we choose to drink!)

We're sitting in the most expensive seats, so I will advise against jeans (not that my groups are the jeans-wearing type anyway).

Well, the more you must enjoy the view of the Zurich lake from the balcony of the opera house!! If you climb up in the amphitheatre during the intermission, there's another balcony outside directly over the lake, a very beautiful view!

• Like 1

I found the café that can be accessed from the theatre without going outside is the best interval bet, especially if you like coffee and cake, far shorter queues,

Switzerland is like Denmark with higher average wages than the rest of Europe, so the prices are a shock.  We stayed a tram ride from the centre and there were cheap eateries nearby which helped.  Zurich is a very attractive town, but I would recommend visiting in summer even though everything looks so lovely under snow,

I found the café that can be accessed from the theatre without going outside is the best interval bet, especially if you like coffee and cake, far shorter queues,

This is a good point. Also remember that the views can also be seen after the show, especially rather than waiting to pick up coats which is usually a long queue.

If your tour is on a budget. Sternen Grill is the most famous bratwurst in Zurich which is close to the operahouse, so for 7chf you can get a bratwurst and bread at the most famous place in Zürich.

As you are watching Swan Lake, I would also be prepared for some clapping over music after some solos, and especially during the Black Swan PDD, so please do not hate the locals for enjoying the performance so much. There isn't much classical dancing in Zurich, so its like our nutcracker audience this season.

The weather in April should be nice, but could be very wet, so umbrellas could be useful.