Gathering opinions: ballet and podcasts

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and while there are a few shows that talk about ballet music and current performances, there isn't a definite ballet podcast as such that I've found. So I am thinking of writing one! I'd really like to gather some feedback here about whether or not people would be interested in listening to such a show. I hope I've placed this post in the appropriate forum, I wasn't sure.

It would be a monthly show, 40 mins to a hour long, and free to listen on a site such as podbay or on iTunes. The format would be something like this;

- News and reviews

- A ballet history segment (the history of a certain ballet, an interesting time period, a feature on a dancer, etc)

- Music break (related to the history segment or perhaps a 'track of the month'. Could be audience requests through comments on previous shows.)

- Opinion feature. I would put a topic for discussion out, (say, "audience behaviour" or "should the classics be continually reinterpreted", etc) and then discuss findings.

- Another music track, and then shout-outs done by request; good luck wishes and that kind of thing, plus a preview of the next month, ("I'll be talking about this thing, so email me with your opinions.")

How does this sound? Any suggestions or critical comments? Good idea/terrible idea? I think it could be a lot of fun for forum users especially, as we have such a lovely community here and generate such spirited discussion.

Edited by Tatiana
  • Like 3

Hello Tatiana,

That sounds a wonderful idea but I am a dinosaur in terms of podcasts and on the whole don't listen to them.

If you get this off the ground, once you are established you may also find that you could be able to do interviews with dancers etc.

It's a good idea and as a big podcast user, I'd listen.  There is actually quite an extensive range of ballet podcasts under the Dance Network umbrella - Pas de Chat, Becoming Ballet etc which are instructive in the topics they address, but they don't cover the review and history angle you are proposing.  You'll need to look into the licensing issues if you are thinking of using music of course - most podcasts, even huge ones like Desert Island Discs, avoid using music because of the cost. 

I am about as digitally savvy as can be (my job is in digital advertising), however I don't usually listen to podcasts. Having said that, I think that a ballet podcast is a great idea. I would definitely give it a listen. I hear from a friend who sometimes guests on a (football) podcast that they can be a lot of fun. Look forward to hearing more.

I think it is an excellent idea. When I first had my IPad, I spent a lot of time seeking out interesting podcasts to listen to and found there was a limited range of material on ballet. In the last couple of years I have rarely listened to any podcasts so I am unaware what is currently out there. But if you are able to provide something that provides an interesting mix of items and remains fresh, I think it will be very well received. Go for it!

Tatiana - as you develop the idea, it's worth checking out what has already been developed at http://www.premierdancenetwork.com so as not to overlap.  They address quite a range of topics, but I think the intended audience is mostly dance participants, especially those hoping to become professional, rather than spectators.  They also have a very US focus.  I started listening to Balancing Pointe and Becoming Ballet but drifted away from these because I'm an aging consumer of ballet rather than a youthful doer, but I dip into 'ask Megan' occasionally, as it's good to hear a professional answering questions, and for (possibly unintended) amusement Pas de Chat, as the presenter reminds me of the trenchant artistic director in Flesh and Bone.  Haven't tried the other titles but it looks as if they are targeting returners to dance.

Thanks Quintus, that's really useful. I was planning a very UK-focused program, as I live in London, and I'm a historian by nature so I'd be really emphasizing the history and features part of it. I do like to tell a good story.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone - still not sure if I'd have time to make an hour's episode every month but is an idea I'm really excited about!

• Like 1