Hours of Dance

balletmum13

They definitely weren't the best quality and thankfully, she does just use them for the music as she insists that I don't make the screen face her (although this is more her testing whether she remembers all the steps on her own). She did also mentioned that there are slight differences in some of the steps. I might purchase the DVDs from the RAD enterprises website as a Christmas pressie for her ????

The ones on Youtube aren't great - they tend to be uploaded by individuals doing the exercises and aren't from the 'actual' RAD DVDs. They are fine for listening to the music to practise to - just don't copy the technique ;)

If you decide to buy a DVD second-hand, then make sure it is the current syllabus as the RAD have changed a lot of them over the last few years.

• Like 1

Tropicmama, my daughter is 7 and only does 1 hour of ballet per week at the moment. She does 6 hours of gymnastics and other stuff so is very busy.

Her ballet teacher is an RBS associate teacher and has said she often gets children who have only been dancing for a few months on 30 mins a week. I have been told it is all about potential at this age so wouln't worry at all about the quantity rather the quality of teaching. My dd is hoping to apply next time for associates x

• Like 1

Please move to another thread if this post isn't quite in the right place: :)

Just still on the subject of the 14/15/16 year olds (yr 10/11 at school) of those not at a Vocational School yet.

With such a demand at Vocational Schools for 6th Form entry, how many auditions will they attend? When, as parents do you sit down with your child and have 'the talk' , ie, auditions are not going as planned or for financial reasons (eek, dislike that thought entirely) ?

Has anyone got some really useful info/experience if they have entered vocational schools for the first time at 6th form level? 

A levels or not? Any regrets not taking them or were successful in obtaining their A levels AND maintained their training at Vocational Schools, some appear to offer A levels some don't!

Any experience from those that attended Conservatoire of Scotland or other establishments on a Modern Ballet programme after completing their studies (A levels) at their academic schools, incl those outside the UK similar to a Uni entry? 

Do you have a Plan B in place? For multiple reasons, the obvious one being injury but also illness which might put a halt on career their choice. or again that horrible £££ reasons!

Just trying to gain as much knowledge about the whole training programme available out there. 

Thank you 

PS Oh, the last, when at a vocational school what are the extra expenses (£ guideline) do we as parents have to factor in that aren't incl on a prospectus. ie uniform, shoes, costumes, theatre trips. exams or anything that I haven't even thought of over and above the general living costs that you expect for students at any college/uni?  Can't seem to find any useful info . 

Thanks again  

A level provision at Vocational Schools is variable and generally does not match the range of subjects offered at a non-dance establishment - as you would expect. If A levels are important to you I would go for 18+ entry to dance training. That said my dd's plan B (in case of disaster)  is to go to an FE college that offers wide range of subjects including A level dance and will admit up to age 24 years.