Studying Dance at Uni

kinola67

Royal Conservatoire (RCS) has the modern ballet course which is definitely a "train to be a ballet dancer in a ballet company"course, also musical theatre BA very much all round quadruple threats. I don't think Glasgow Uni would offer her much/any dance although there is the theatre studies course as mentioned.

Also in Glasgow is Clyde College which does HNC/HND dance - very practical & then I know people who've done that then gone onto other courses in London (Laines etc) or teaching etc type courses. Similar is West College just outside Glasgow (easy to get to from Glasgow though). New College in Motherwell has HNC/HND/degree 3 year courses in MT & acting, I think dance to HND. My friend did acting for two years in Glasgow, then did her degree year in England then MA musical theatre at RCS. So there's an option to do two years sonewhere then top up to degree level for third year.

• Like 1

If you're sure your daughter won't be dancing as a career why doesn't she just do some other degree at a university where there is plenty of dance classes/performances available.

My daughter is going to Durham Uni next week doing this, the university have a number of dance societies running classes and performances of a high standard. My daughter is lookking at joining the ballet company which rehearses 3 times a week.Apatr from this there are normal ballet classes for grades from intermediate to advvanced as well as other dance styles.

Attending unis in Manchester , Birmingham , Leeds or London would also give her this option

• Like 5

If you're sure your daughter won't be dancing as a career why doesn't she just do some other degree at a university where there is plenty of dance classes/performances available.

My daughter is going to Durham Uni next week doing this, the university have a number of dance societies running classes and performances of a high standard. My daughter is lookking at joining the ballet company which rehearses 3 times a week.Apatr from this there are normal ballet classes for grades from intermediate to advvanced as well as other dance styles.

Attending unis in Manchester , Birmingham , Leeds or London would also give her this option

Ditto Warwick where my ds starts next week. Lots of ballet, jazz, contemporary, hip hop and tap classes. The students running the societies include ex associates of Tring/Central etc and an ex All England tap champion. My ds may end up with just as many hours of class, if not more.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies, we have narrowed down our choices I think Uni wise to Surrey, De Montford, Roehampton and Middlesex London. Annoyingly De Montford although nearer geographically takes longer to get to and costs more on the train. We are only considering 'down south' for dance degrees as the choice is better than in Scotland, so if DD wasn't doing dance at Uni we'd definitley be going to a Scottish Uni as the fees are free! Also looking at Trinity Laban, NSCD and Glasgow Conservatoire... will let you all know how it goes! Good luck to all those making choices for next year!

• Like 2