International Ballet Schools gala and other Paris Opera Ballet School performances (all in Paris).

On 7th April, 2017, Paris Opera will be holding a 2nd ballet schools gala featuring an exciting selection of schools, including RBS:

The Royal Danish Ballet School,

The Vaganova Academy (Saint‑Pétersbourg),

The Royal Ballet School (Londres),

San Francisco Ballet School,

Canada’s National Ballet School,

John Cranko Schule – Stuttgarter Ballett,

Ballettschule des Hamburg Ballett

The site mentions lectures and other activities taking place during the ballet schools' visit - I've written to ask for details of any rehearsals/classes/talks etc. that we could attend. 

Earlier the same month (1st, 3rd and 4th April), the Paris Opera School has their own annual performance. 

Also the Paris Opera Ballet School's annual demonstrations (showing what the students are doing in their different classes and giving an amazing insight into the POB system of training) will be held this year on 3rd 11th and 17th December (Same performances on each of the three days. Usually they have the younger grades in the morning and the older grades in the afternoon; sometimes they swap these around.)

Public booking for the above opens on 13th September. I'm able to book from today with my groups booking account. If you know me and would like to join the group or could use some tips about getting your own group purchase, just send me a PM. One problem with POB's group tickets (as opposed to their individual ones) is that they are paper, not electronic. This can be a bit tricky if you find you can't come and need to pass the ticket on to someone else at the last minute, though I've found that the Paris Opera have been very accommodating about reprinting.

Also happy to help with some cheap/group travel and accommodation options if there's interest.

Yafa

• Like 1

Public booking for the different Paris schools performances starts tomorrow a.m. (13th September). The Paris Opera Ballet School does not yet know which, if any, activities, will be open to the public during the week of the ballet schools gala, but they will send this info as soon as they have it. 

• 5 months later...

The Paris Opera Ballet School just posted details of what looks like a very interesting set of activities for 4th and 5th April. See:
https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/news/the-programme-offered-for-the-2nd-edition-of-the-gala-des-ecoles-de-danse-du-xxie-siecle-is-available

- Tuesday 4th from 14h to 17h00 at the Palais Garnier: come and watch the live rehearsal of the Gala and the Schools March.

- Wednesday 5th at the Paris Opera Ballet School:

o From 10h to 13h : panel discussion with all Directors on the following subjects : the relationships between schools and companies, evolution of the training compared to the evolution of the repertoires, the increasing difficulties of the auditions…

o From 14h to 15h30 : observation of ballet classes (POB's students and guests)

o From 16h to 18h : observation of our guests rehearsals.

o From 19h30 to 21h : screening of pieces of POB's repertoire and Q&A about the French style

There's a link at that page to the registration form. It costs 100 euros for the 2 days...

[edited for typos]

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 2

The Paris Opera Ballet School just posted details of what looks like a very interesting set of activities for 4th and 5th April. See:

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/news/the-programme-offered-for-the-2nd-edition-of-the-gala-des-ecoles-de-danse-du-xxie-siecle-is-available

- Tuesday 4th from 14h to 17h00 at the Palais Garnier: come and watch the live rehearsal of the Gala and the Schools March.

- Wednesday 5th at the Paris Opera Ballet School:

o From 10h to 13h : panel discussion with all Directors on the following subjects : the relationships between schools and companies, evolution of the training compared to the evolution of the repertoires, the increasing difficulties of the auditions…

o From 14h to 15h30 : observation of ballet classes (POB's students and guests)

o From 16h to 18h : observation of our guests rehearsals.

o From 19h30 to 21h : screening of pieces of POB's repertoire and Q&A about the French style

There's a link at that page to the registration form. It costs 100 euros for the 2 days...

[edited for typos]

Initially, when I heard the news almost a year ago about Elisabeth Platel extending an invitation to Nikolai Tsiskaridze, I was almost jubilant. Now, I am afraid this is going to be much ado about nothing. A lot more useful would be to invite a single school (like the Vaganova Academy) to give a real concert performance at Palais Garnier. Instead, we are getting yet another expensive yet meaningless gala and similarly meaningless activities surrounding it. I am not going.