Music volume in class

annaliesey

My dd suffers from tinnitus (high pitched noise in her ears permanently) and I just wondered if anyone knew of any recommendations about volume in classes.

I've noticed that some classes and studios have their music up louder than others and I might need to get her some ear plugs as preventative measure.

Has anyone got any experience of loud music and effects on tinnitus?

Thank you :)

I find loud music in the studio very difficult as it makes my tinnitus louder rather than drown it out. I'm also conscious of the loud music damaging my hearing further and therefore worsening the tinnitus. I have asked teachers in the past if they could turn the volume down slightly and they have been understanding????

Thanks anaballerina :)

She says at the time it drowns it out but afterwards she will get a spike

Everyone we've spoken to suggests ear plugs to prevent further damage but she doesn't want to wear them as worried she will miss verbal instructions and conversation

In her normal classes teacher is happy to not have music too loud but it's a different story if we go anywhere else as she wouldn't feel conformance asking :(

My hubby has some (quite expensive) custom made ear plugs for when he's motorcycling, but he also uses them for loud environments like parties (not that we seen to go to any!!). They're hard and have a hole through the middle. They cut out certain frequencies I believe - so he gets protection from the loud sounds but can still hear speech. He bought them years ago but I can ask him for info if you need it

• Like 3

I'll quiz him for you! (He's working in the USA until Thursday so might have to wait until then). Sadly I don't think I can help with the bickering siblings ;-)

He does have tinnitus but he didn't get them for that - they were to protect from the loud noises but still allowing him to have a conversation. The audiologists should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Like 2