RO Tosca

Sim

I saw this on Monday night with Angela Gheorghiu, Riccardo Massi and Samuel Youn.  I love this production and see it at least once each time it comes to the ROH. 

I hadn't been too impressed with Gheorghiu the last couple of times I'd seen her (in Boheme and La Rondine), but she seems to have found her mojo again and is in fine fettle as the diva.  OK, her voice isn't what it was ten years ago, but she can still hit the notes, she can still emote, she still understands the music.  Although she took Vissi d'Arte at a slightly faster pace than I like, she still found time to make it emotional as it should be.  I just wish I could get Callas out of my head each time I hear someone else sing this.  It just isn't fair on them or on me!

Riccardo Massi as Cavaradossi warmed up as he went along, and by E Lucevan le Stelle he was convincing as a man facing his own death, and the sense of waste and sadness came through loud and clear.  He sings like an old-style Italian tenor, and it put me in mind of the days of Di Stefano, Bergonzi, Del Monaco, et al.  His voice is warm but not overpowering (ok, Del Monaco's could be overpowering), and I enjoyed listening to him.

Samuel Youn as the evil Scarpia has a fine voice, and here gave a totally believable performance of a man who is nasty, lecherous and totally untrustworthy, but makes you think that underneath there may be a possibility of redemption somewhere in there.

The minor roles were also well cast and well sung.  The orchestra sounded amazing under the baton of Emmanuel Villaume;  he brought forth a beautiful, lush depth to the music, and ensured that the orchestra respected the singers and what they were doing onstage at any given time.  When orchestra and vocalist complement each so well, the result can only be a happy one.

This 'shabby little shocker' lit up a cold, dull night in London.

• Like 1

I decided to sit out Tosca this time, though your review made me think that maybe I shouldn't have. I wasn't certain whether Gheorghiu would deliver the goods and decided to stick with my memories of a fabulous Sondra Radvanovsky from a couple of years back.

Edited by Coated
  • Like 1

I brought some friends along for the opening night with the same cast as Sim. Gheorghiu is still the Tosca for our times but, sadly, Riccardo Massi was an underpowered Cavaradossi, begging the question of what on earth Tosca could see in him.

Yes, he could hit the notes but he showed all the animation of those stone pillars lined up in formation on the battlements of the Castel Sant 'Angelo. Park and bark from the get-go and not a jot of chemistry between them, although it wasn't for want of trying on Gheorghiu's part.

Oh for the dream team of  Angela, J.K. and Bryn, of a few years back, although I must say I found Samuel Youn a commanding Scarpia with, mercifully, a less-repellent wig than the one worn by Bryn on recent outings.

I agree that the minor parts were well-sung and, despite my reservations about Cavaradossi, still an enjoyable evening.

• Like 1