split sole ballet shoes rad exams

Siconne50

They are allowed now under RAD regulations although it really depends on your schools uniform, your teacher may or may not allow them. They have to have full soles at my dds school until grade 6 or inter foundation when split soles are required.

• Like 1

You might find this interesting/useful:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/779-ballet-shoes/page__hl__%2Bsplit+%2Bsole

I've been searching the regulations/specifications on the RAD site and can't find a current reference to split soles. Can someone post a link if you've seen it in "print" please (I keep finding the specifications for up to December 2012 - must be missing the new ones somewhere - either they haven't put them on the site which isn't very useful, or I'm just being daft - which is possible).

There was a thread on it about a month ago, it was in an RAD email bulletin in February or march. Can't search for the thread easily as I'm on my phone but it was confirmed that they are definitely now permitted, guess they just haven't updated that document yet.

They are now permitted for all graded exams, but Intermediate and above on the Vocational Graded syllabus should still be soft pointes, some teachers will stick to full sole shoes for all grades so best to check with your own teacher.

While a split sole shoe can be very comfortable the do tend to have higher vamps and therefore aren't as flattering to the dancers foot and as has been said countless times before the split sole does not give the dancer anything like the same feeling as a pointe shoe.