Siblings on MDS

Happymum

I'm trying to decide if it's possible at all for us to let our DS audition for year 7 next year. My DD is at a vocational school and it's already very expensive. I've read on the forum some time ago that if a second child is offered an MDS place parents pay just 50% Of what they will normally pay. So let say they pay £2000 per term for the older child but just £1000 per term for the second child.

I tried to find any information about it on government website but I didn't see it anywhere. I've asked Tring school and they said that there is a slight reduction for 2nd child but NOT 50%.

Can somebody help? I did search the forum but couldn't find the information. Are there any parents with 2 children on MDS?

Is there a website when I can check it? I need to calculate it to find out if I should let my DS audition or not. Sadly his first choice school is not the one my DD is at. I have contacted both schools and hope to hear from them soon with more details.

It's a difficult one... We have had 4 on mds but only ever 3 at any one time. Iwe decided if we let one and the others earned their place we would have to find a way to make it happen... But it has been and still is a huge financial mountain from which we won't recover as we head towards retirement :( I am glad we have given each their chance though. The sensible thing would have been to say no after 2....

Yes! Exactly! I have no idea how did you cope! Well done to you, your family and very talented children Kiwimum!

I agree with you that if one child has been given a chance you need to do the same for the sibling! But my DD wanted to get to Voc school since she was 5 years old - I could plan ahead. My DS only decided a month or two ago. First I focused on graduates employment, academics, GCSE results etc then suddenly I realised that I don't know if I can afford it! (well I know I can't so am just planning bank loans in advance) Madness!

Edited by Happymum

Thinking well ahead ! There is a discount for 2 MDSs but not for one MDS and one DaDa, which will happen when one goes into 6th form. Imagine two on a DaDa ???? We are auditioning for these scenarios. It's a worry !

Happy mum, there are already siblings at school. Might be worth having a chat with the parents of one of them xx

At one point I had one on a ballet MDS and subsequently was offered a music MDS for Junior Conservatoire.  I asked if it would reduce my fees to have one already in receipt and was told that no, it would probably increase them! 

I think this is one of those things where although all schools are supposedly the same, some will include things others won't, and the only thing to do is ask the schools concerned.  

This was a couple of years ago, and things may have since changed ..

meadowblythe

So far I've heard from Tring - having another child on MDS at a different Voc school

reduces Tring MDS fees by 25 % ish. It's a complicated way of calculating it because even a bursar at Tring couldn't tell me straight away and needed a calculation for this year's MDSs.

I hope the discount is bigger if the children are at the same school. I'm still waiting to hear.

Hope that it's helpful and of some use to others at balletco ,