Shin splints

swanprincess

I have a ballet exam within the next few weeks but am beginning to get shin pain- I had shin splints a few years ago and it took ages to heal so I don't want the pain to get bad like that again, but at the same time I can't have a day off because I need to prepare for the exam..... So what can I do in the meantime that will stop my shins from hurting?! Should I ice it, or use deep heat? Its bearable in class but obviously I don't want it to get any worse....

I'm not 100% sure but I think for shin splints it's best to ice it for 10 minutes at a time. make sure you ice it after classes though as you want it to be as warm as possible before and during class to help prevent further injury !

I'd say rest it when possible and as you don't want to take a day or class off maybe just miss out or mark allegro exercises as this is what usually causes most pain for people.

also make sure when you're not dancing you wear correct footwear - like trainers, as they give the correct support and stability.

also after class stretch out your calf and lower leg muscles and massage your shin using a foam roller/ massage ball/ hands.

• Like 2

REST!!!!!!!!!! As in, reduce anything that requires weightbearing on your feet. You could do floor barre, gym ball exercises or pilates but actually you need to have rest days in your training schedule as that is when strength develops. Elite athletes will have rest days in their schedules as they know the importance of rest in injury prevention. It sounds like you're doing too much.

While resting:

During Contrast bathing helps (ice then heat then ice then heat etc). Massaging calf and shin would be better than stretching as it increases blood flow and loosens tight muscles. Stretching tight muscles is more likely to cause more pain and soreness.

• Like 3